Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #1 
Arowan

New Tank Arrangement PicSpam

So, most of my plants melted in my previous set up after I moved back home for the winter break. Since they were mostly dying from an algae bloom, anyway, I took em all out when they melted to the point of no return.

My only survivor is my massive dwarf lily.

So, I decided to revamp my tank with much easier plants, and see if I don't do better this time.

First pic is of my old setup. Oh, the tank is a 5gallon Hawkeye.

Rest are my new ones, half of which were photobombed by either one of my 3 ghost shrimp, or my double tail betta, Hyperiod aka Hyppo.

I manage to kill more of my shrimp than he does.. I've killed 4 from squishing em when rearranging my tank, or gravel vacuuming them and not noticing when I dump the water...

Anyway, new set up includes 5 pieces of cholla, which were about $3 a piece at the HobbyLobby. I waterlogged them myself. They've finally stopped turning my water a light brown. :) They're pretty fun to use, because if I ever get bored of a set up I can just rearrange them differently :) My betta manages to fit through all of them no problem, and they don't tear his fins. Some of them, I didn't think he'd be able to fit through at all xD But he manages. Even if it freaked me out the first time I saw him fit through the half-buried teeny opening of my smallest cholla....

Plants: Middle is my very healthy, original dwarf lily. It's just about reached the surface, so can't wait to see the new leaves it'll grow then. Bought from Heather.
To the left of it is an anubias I got from a petco tank, i have it attached with some thread to one of the cholla pieces. They have a lot of natural holes in them, so it's easy to attach plants. This one just kept trying to float away, so hopefully it'll root itself soon, with help from the thread.
Right of the lily is an amazaon sword, newly bought last weekend in a petsmart tube. First time I've had one of these, but hopefully it'll help combat my slight algae bloom. I have it planted in my eco-complete substrate.
Behind the Sword is another Anubias, also bought from a petsmart tube. It had perfectly healthy leaves, which was nice. I didn't need to attach this one to the cholla with string, since it's roots fit perfectly in a hole already in the cholla wood.

I also bought a background. Finally. It was actually doublesided, and the not-shown side has a lot of fully-grown dwarf lillies on it. Pretty cool, but I like the shot of one of Amano's tanks better for my set-up. Even if it has regular drift wood, and not cholla.

I also have the outside of my tank decorated with knick knacks... for a kind of jungle look. My fish particularly adores the peacock, it's his best friend.

Sorry it's a lot of photos xD It's just, in my opinion, an amazing set up. I never get tired of watching it.
Attached Images

Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #2 
peachesxo

Amazing set up.
Lucky little betta!
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #3 
Arowan

Yeah, he's a superb betta :) Glad I picked him up at the petco.

I can't wait till the dwarf lily reaches the surface, then I think he'll bubble nest for me quite a bit more!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #4 
Jupiter

That looks amazing! I love the wood, it's so unique!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #5 
ChicagoPete

Thats cool lookin!
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #6 
Betta Slave

Lovely tanks! I love the mossy driftwood in the first one.

And I like your little peacock, too X3
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #7 
peachesxo

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT PLANTS THOSE ARE THAT ARE NOT PLANTED INTO THE WATER (you have them tied onto the log!)

I'm going to get live ones for my little dude tomorrow since all his are fake and he tries to snuggle in them but they don't work great.

nevermind re-read, haha
ANUBIAS
getting some. :)
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #8 
FuulieQ

I LOVE cholla wood!!

I'm getting some for my ten gallon setup that I'm working on right now! I can't wait. It's just so visually interesting!!
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #9 
Arowan

Yeah, maybe because I'm in arizona, but it's pretty easy to get cholla wood here.

Honestly, it feels like a nice little revenge... the darn cactus hurt.

(Cholla is also known as Jumping Cactus. And it will move the few centimeters it takes to stick you. And the barbs are hooked, and toxic... ugh)

I got the idea from Heather's website, where she sells 6-inch waterlogged cholla. I saw some at the HobbyLobby, and thought i'd try myself. The pieces are a bit shorter than hers would be, but that lets me stack them easily in my 5 gallon.

Last edited by Arowan; 01-27-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #10 
FuulieQ

Buh. My jealousy is palpable.

I have to order mine online. Although I guess it's worth a shot to check out hobby lobby.

Is the stuff rough? I don't want my fish catching their fins. :<
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote