Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #1 
britnyjackson

First "introduction" Super pic heavy!!

I am new to this and have been reading a ton about bettas and breeding bettas. They've lived next to eachother for about 1 week now and they can see eachother through the tank divider. He started building a large bubble nest. After a few days I put her in with him. I only left them together for about 2 hours, then had to go to bed so I removed her because I didn't want her to get hurt... anyways, here's some pics of them... Enjoy!!
Attached Images

britnyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:18 AM   #2 
britnyjackson

and more...
Attached Images

britnyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:18 AM   #3 
MrVampire181

Just curious....why are you breeding in a divided tank with gravel and a filter? The fry will go through the divider and get munched by any fish on the other side and of course sucked up by the filter. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 AM   #4 
jmtriro01

your bettas are gorgeous as well as your tank. but you might have a problem with the missing eggs and frys since your tank is heavily decorated plus you have gravel. if they haven't spawned yet, i suggest you restart by taking them out of that tank and let them spawn in a clean bare tank/container.
jmtriro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #5 
MrVampire181

One more thing...your male's head is WAY dippy...not a good thing at all.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:47 AM   #6 
mand

That tank is a lovely home for a betta but it's not very practical for breeding.
When the male and female embrace she will drop the eggs and they sink to the bottom. The poor lad will have a hard time finding them and picking them up amongst all the gravel. Then when they hatch they drop again (mine dropped constantly) and it's the poor males job to find them, pick them up and put them back in the nest. A bare bottomed tank makes his job so much easier and you will have more fry make it to the free swimming stage as they will not get lost amongst the gravel.

When the fry are free swimming they will easily slip through the holes in the divider and get eaten by whatever lives on the other side. My fry are now 2 weeks old and up untill now i have been watching them with a magnifying glass so you can guess how small they are.

Also i would lower your water level so it is only 5" - 6" high. With the male constantly going up and down collecting eggs and fry from the bottom he will get very tired. Probably more than mine did as yours has bigger fins and so has more weight to lug up and down.

Anyway those are just a few suggestions based on my first attempt at breeding. Whatever you decide to do i wish you good luck with it.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:30 AM   #7 
Abby

Thumbs down Imo bad idea

IN MY OPINION

EESH! unless your PREPARED to raise and HOME between 10 and 200 babies or EVEN MORE dont be breeding them. This is not very responsible and i know i sound like a cruel heartless person but think of the babies.

IF YOUR GOING TO BREED LOOK AT THE FOLLOWING
A) Have you conditioned BOTH parents for two weeks? The breeding takes A LOT out of the female. Tending the nest and eggs/fry is round the clock care for the father.

B) Have you got ROOM, when breeding you need AT LEAST three tanks to begin with. you take the female out after the breeding, the male remains with the eggs for two or three days then he needs removing. the spawn stay in the breeding tank. Breeding tanks usually are best bare bottomed to prevent loss of fry in amongst the gravel.

C) Can you house the fry. when the males begin "puberty" they will fight to the death if left together. Males MUST have their own tank or container.(ONE male to one container no females with them)

D) Are you prepared to feed and care for all these offspring and do daily or every two day water changes (depending on container size) my 2 gal or a little more needs water changes AT LEAST every two days.

E) although Bettas may like with no heater and no filter its recommended to put both on all tanks.( heater filter sizes are depended on each individual tank size) Can you do this?

F) Finding homes for that many babies is HARD some LPS (local pet stores) will take them most wont. but pet shops wont look at even taking them until they are matured 4 months and up, usually they take them at 6 months old. can you provide the daily (when young they need special food and feeding little and many times) care and maintenance for them?

Im sure the more experienced members can add to this list

Last edited by Abby; 01-27-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:36 AM   #8 
Abby

Adding and typos :D

I like the colours though.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:52 AM   #9 
jmtriro01

listen to them, your spawn will most likely go to waste. your bettas will stress themselves out for nothing.
jmtriro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #10 
Abby

Unresponsible breeding is wrong I can't think of words to describe it. Noone wants a spawn to go to waste or die or be stuck in cups and I'll cared for for the rest of their lives.
As I've stated there is a tremoundous load of work that goes into a single breeding it's not just a "oh I'll just toss her in there" both fish NEED to be ready just because he has a bubble nest doesn't mean she will be ready, the end result would be him attacking and harming her in his bid to have his way with her. This sites members are in LOVE with these fish and will agree that you can own and enjoy these fish wihout breeding them