Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #1 
Rojatta

Are my bowls too small?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but I've had several bettas. I currently have 3 of them and I keep them in 0.75 gallon rectangular bowls (the Petco fish keepers) with a couple plants and frequent water changes. All my bettas seem happy and healthy (my VT is almost 3 years old and is still very spunky!), but I noticed that this website recommends 2.5 gallons as the minimum tank size. There seems to be a lot of debate on the right size for bettas. What are your opinions? Do I need to find a way to accomodate bigger tanks or are my bettas fine in their current homes?

Thanks for your input!
Rojatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #2 
Sweeda88

You should get bigger tanks, along with heaters for each. Betta fish are tropical and need a steady temp off around 78-80* F. You can get the 3 gallon Pet Keepers for $13 each. I have one, and it's nice and sturdy.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #3 
shinybetta

Heaters are the most important thing, and it is hard to heat a small tank. Rubbermaid containers work great! Only 8 bucks for 20 gallons!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #4 
HayrideHaunter

my Marbles is in a 1gal with a filter/airstone combo. He doesnt have a heater but only because he can tolerate room temperature...I live in a dorm and we keep it pretty warm in here. His water might be a bit on the cool side...perhaps 70-75 sometimes, but I'm sure to not let it get too cold. Many people say a 1gal is plenty of room as long as you take care of it right (water changes and such)...though for me personally, I'd like to get a 2.5, simply because Marbles looks kinda cramped in the 1gal.

Anyways I have an Aqueon MiniBow ...you can get them for like $25 for the 1gal i think...2.5 is $30-40...comes with a filter and stand and a tank light and such
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #5 
AngelicScars

A heater is important when you cannot maintain a steady 78 degrees in the water (so I'd get a thermometer).
The thing is, your betta can "tolerate" cooler temps, but in the long run it's damaging. There organs start to slow down and things go down hill from there. This of course can take years.
I would suggest no less then 2.5 gallons per betta though.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #6 
HayrideHaunter

@Angelic: Ive never had any problems with him though. He's never had ANY symptoms associated with water being too cold. He's VERY active
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Long term affects might not always be seen but you can be sure the immune system is not what it could be. It could just take one tiny introduction of a pathogen and then the fish gets sick.

IMO.. 1 gallon is the absolute minimum and I prefer to only see that as a temporary fix. 2+ gallons should be the goal.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #8 
bettafish15

I would get those cheap critter keepers that were suggested :D Cheap, roomy for your betta, and safe to heat with an aquarium heater. The larger the tank, the less water changes you have to do anyway, so if you got even a 5g kritter keeper it would be easier on you. I personally agree that 2.5g is the minimum for bettas :) In the containers you have them in now, I would do 100% water changes daily because they arent quite a gallon. The more room your bettas have, the more active they will be, even if they're active now. ;D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

You have 3 bettas, you could get a 10 gallon kit for like $30, gravel for $5, some plants (that can get a little pricey), heater for $25, and materials for dividers (at most $5). So like altogether maybe $80?

Divide it in 3 and you have roughly 3.33 gallons per fish. You can also cycle it before putting your guys in there and only have to do 1 50% water change a week instead of the daily or every other day water changes you need to be doing now. That would be a great set up and I'm sure your fish would love the space to explore and act like fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #10 
scootshoot

Betta home size? All personal preference as there will be plenty of point and counter points to topics like these.

Me personally? I like watching my betta swim around and be able to explore his surroundings fully. In a small 1/2 or 1 gallon cup he has no choice but to kind of chill.....

Minimum 5 gallon for my boys.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote