Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #1 
demonr6

Please Help Identify

This evening after work we stopped at Petco looking for some dog supplies and on the way out we saw the Bettas. My wife really liked this little guy so of course make her happy then life is grand for me right? Knowing the fish at box stores can be really iffy we bought it anyways. He was really active and other than his accommodations sucking bad he appears okay.

I got him home, we are about to change him into fresh water to acclimate him and get him in better sorts prior to moving him into his new home. Of course I had to do a closer inspection and the top of his head concerns me. It may be paranoia but it may not be. My wife who has glasses does not see anything abnormal, just his scales are iridescent and a different color but no holes, wierd sores etc. so I turn to you!!

I intend to QT him for 24 hours before moving him into his new tank. Dunno if just clean water will do or should I add something? It will be one of the small bowls and nothing bigger than the piece of garbage container he came in.

Oh yes, by the way, this is our newest fishy.

demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #2 
bamsuddenimpact

Looks like coloring, but since a new fish its always hard to tell. Just watch for changes?
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #3 
turtle10

Always add de-chlorinator. Tap water has chlorine in it that is really bad for fish.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #4 
turtle10

Also, that is way too small of a home for a fish :(

And if you decide to keep the container, it will require 75-100% daily water changes. With something that small it will be hard to keep the heat at a constant degree, temperature fluctuations are really bad for them also.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #5 
demonr6

He's in really good water right now. Aged and filtered, I add a water conditioner but I have tested the water after a day or two w/o additives and it tests stellar. I had to move him between a couple of QT tanks while gradually getting him into warmer water. He's now enjoying fresh, clean,warm water for a change. I will see if he is doing better tomorrow and I will try feeding him then maybe Sunday I can get him into his new permanent tank. Till then he has to suffice with floating in it and viewing his new home from his QT tank. :)

I did take a better look at the larger high pixel images and it is a figment of my imagination. Better safe than sorry though right?
Old 01-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #6 
turtle10

It is still safer to just add de-chlorinator to tap water because it has minerals in it that bettas need or they will get sick.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #7 
demonr6

I understand, I add it anyways. :)
Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #8 
turtle10

I am just not sure about his head though, something about it doesn't look right..
Old 01-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #9 
demonr6

I got in real close and looked from the side and it seems smooth but from up top it does not. I can't get in much closer to look so I am relying on the wife and her glasses.. short of buying a magnifying glass and telling him to stay really still..
Old 01-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #10 
turtle10

It looks like a fungus or something.