Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #1 
JKfish

What happens next?

So, every time I visit Petsmart (I did so yesterday), I go through each and every betta fish and pull the ones in more dirty cups from the backs to the front. I find the one or two really sick ones that look dead at first glance and bring them to the employees and explain what's wrong with them and what might help. They always just sort of nod and half listen then take them through a door by the fish section into a back room... I'm sort of curious what happens after that? do the employees stick them in larger QT tanks for care, or do they dump them out somewhere to die?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

My guess?

Depending on the morals of the specific employee... they either change the water and put them right back on the shelf, leave them on a counter to die, flush them live, or do their best to try to care for them.

I'd say 99% are probably either left to die, flushed alive, or put back on the shelf to die.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #3 
baylee767

It's so sad how it has to be this way with Bettas )=

Employees don't even think about how they're destroying lives when they do this. I agree with 1fish, the poor things are probably killed.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #4 
Pekemom

That's awful...
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #5 
JKfish

:( I had a feeling it'd be something like that... Gosh, now I feel horrible for bringing them to the employees.... One of them was an absolutely beatiful pineapple girl with bad fungusy finrot and sbd, nothing consistanly clean warm water and food couldn't fix. I really wish I could find the manager's business email so I could email him a complaint. almost all the bettas are fine, but it always seems like there are 3-5 in dirty water and of those 3-5, 2 or so are almost dead and floating in their own filth. If the other 20+ bettas have relatively clean looking water, would it kill the employees to do the extra 5 towards the back?

Last edited by JKfish; 01-29-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #6 
LucyLoofa

Here's something that might help:

Go here: PetSmart Store Locations for Pet Supplies and Pet Accessories | PetSmart
Enter your Zipcode then using the map find the store you shop at. Click the red icon representing the store. It will bring up three tabs. The default tab has the city name and store number. Ex: Melvinsburg #000
Copy that number and city name.

Next go here:Contact Us
File your complaint there and include employee names if you want. Also a manager name if you can. If you can't even complaining about the bettas period should do something.
I wouldn't make it sound too nasty the first time. If it happens again you could kick it up a notch.
Make sure they know you're disgusted and disappointed with the service and when you notified the staff/employees of problems they failed to improve upon anything at all.

Anywho, that's how to get things done.
Hope this helps!

-Lucy
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #7 
JKfish

Thank you lucyLoofa :)
Old 01-31-2011, 10:45 AM   #8 
Kethlas

They don't actually flush them live - they'd be breaking far too many of their policies with that. Of course, the store manager might not care, but still. I don't know Georgia's policy on it, but in Maryland, dead fish must be bagged and put in freezers to be shipped out to whatever company handles disposal - same with all deceased animals in care of a pet store.

They probably take them back, change the water, wait for you to leave, then put them back on the shelf - they'd try to give the illusion of some care, if nothing else. If it's a common enough disease to take care of (Ich, etc), and they have the medicine available, they may treat the betta in the cup.
Kethlas is offline   Reply With Quote