Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Unhappy College worries, need some advice.

I have a question for you all college kids... is it really worth living in a dorm? That mind sound kind of strange but I can either go to a college in my hometown and live at home, or go 5 hrs away (where my sister went to college) and live in a single dorm (already have one reserved ). I just don't know how to decide whether to stay home and enjoy a big room and bathroom, or live in a dorm and have freedom haha and the whole college experience. I mean I'd have to give some bettas away since my parents couldn't take care of them, plus I'd be away from my horses. But going to the other college may give me a better education (because it's a better known school, vs. the private school in my hometown). Ugh, it's stressing me out! Haha What would you guys think, looking back on your college experience? Thank you!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #2 
Abby

i didnt go to college but i would stay stay at home horses and bettas all the way xD
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

If I were you, I would list the pros and cons of each school. Maybe that will help you decide. Living in a dorm gives you more freedom but you also have to put up with noise while you're trying to study, people walking past your room at 3 in the morning, drunk and making noise, and loud music coming from your neighbors, etc.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #4 
Abby

and not as many Betta's and no horses lol
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #5 
c4talys7

It really depends on you, I like living in my dorm (I'm in Hawaii, from Oregon though) because I don't like being at home. I enjoy the feeling of being more on my own and more independent than when I was at home. If you have a dorm room to yourself that's even better! My roommate is awesome but it gets pretty cramped. I vote going to the dorms, at least for a year to try it out.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #6 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
If I were you, I would list the pros and cons of each school. Maybe that will help you decide. Living in a dorm gives you more freedom but you also have to put up with noise while you're trying to study, people walking past your room at 3 in the morning, drunk and making noise, and loud music coming from your neighbors, etc.
I agree. The most important thing that you should base your descision off from is where will you have the most quiet time to study. Also maybe check into which college has the betta (hehe) success rate of graduates. What does your parents say about it?
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #7 
c4talys7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoto80 View Post
I agree. The most important thing that you should base your descision off from is where will you have the most quiet time to study. Also maybe check into which college has the betta (hehe) success rate of graduates. What does your parents say about it?
Even if you do choose college. A lot of places on campus (i.e. libraries, computer labs....) are open 24hrs a day for students that want to study. My dorm tower even has a student study lounge on the roof that is great for homework and what not.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #8 
Crazykat

I would look at the colleges before I considered the dorms. Which one will get you closer to your goals?
I've gone to two different colleges, one while staying at home and the current one while staying in a single dorm room. For me, the deciding factor was that in my current college, I am better able to meet my academic goals and have access to more diverse courses and career related activities.

I like living at home because I feel comfortable, but it's true that because I'm on campus all the time, I have formed a network of people that I never would have met if I wasn't here all the time. I do have to say, it is way better to live in a single than a double. You can just shut the door and that says to everyone, "I'm done interacting right now. Lemme be." Vital for me since I get exhausted after too much social time. Sometimes I'm like, "Okay, I like you all but I'm going to go hang out with my fish now!" lol

Overall, it's about where you feel like you're achieving the most. It sucks to be away from your horses, but remember, it's only 4 years, you get summer and winter break and many schools have equestrian teams, if you need a horsie fix. I know it's not the same, though. As for bettas, at least in my school, they allow up to ten gallons. If you had four bettas with you, you'd be good. If you have more than that, maybe you could have friends help out? Good luck, it's a big choice.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

If I had to do it over again, and had the money, lol, I would have lived in a single room. Roommates can be a pain.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #10 
c4talys7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
If I had to do it over again, and had the money, lol, I would have lived in a single room. Roommates can be a pain.
Yeah they can, especially if it's not a good match. Regardless I would choose dorms over staying at home. I love being away from there lol, no one constantly nagging. A single dorm room would be amazing.