Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #1 
FishFood

Unhappy Is this Velvet?

I recently noticed some "5 o'clock shadow" on my male Betta. I am wondering if this is velvet or some other fungal infection. He is not showing any usual behavior (any of the symptoms of velvet besides some discoloration), the females that are in the same tank are not showing the same thing, and he has been eating. I don't remember this being here, but I have not had him that long.

I am going to the pet store on Saturday and want to know if I can pick something up for him. I am having an ammonia issue with their 10 gal tank that I am working on fixing. Is this something that I should be concerned with? He is such a cutie and I don't want to lose him :(

(The glow is the flash of the camera)
FishFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #2 
lilchiwolf

hmm...does not look like it to me. Looks like scale color and if it is that is sweet!
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #3 
FishFood

I hope it is just scale color. It is worrying me because I don't want to lose my little Ruben :(

On another topic; What kind of things should I have on hand as far as betta meds go? I have anti-bacteria and parasite meds, as well as aquarium salt on hand. I don't have transportation (in college, no car) so are there things that I will want to have on hand? I don't want to be caught off guard if something bad comes about and have my little ones become ill. I love them too much to let them be hurting :(
Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #4 
kfish

I'd probably get some Epsom salt, too. It's hard to stock up in advance since stuff expires. :(
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #5 
FishFood

I noticed that some of it expires, but do you think that his face is ok?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #6 
FishFood

I also have a female that is not dropping her eggs. She came into contact with Ruben a few weeks ago (because he escaped) and has eggs present insider her. Any way to make her drop her eggs? I don't want her to hold the eggs too long, or it might hurt her.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #7 
kfish

I don't think he has velvet, especially because the same coloring is also in his eye. I think it's just his coloring - it's way too pretty to be velvet. People say velvet is gold, but it doesn't sparkle like that. It's more dull yellowy.

He could just be showing his true coloring for the first time because he's happy and relaxed.

I don't know anything about egg dropping, though! I'm sorry.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #8 
kfish

ALSO for your ammonia issue, besides increasing water changes... I don't know what conditioner you're using, but Amquel and Prime reduce the effects of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Prime is more cost-effective since you don't need much and they both do the same thing, so if you're not using it... you may want to pick some Prime up while you're at the store.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #9 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
ALSO for your ammonia issue, besides increasing water changes... I don't know what conditioner you're using, but Amquel and Prime reduce the effects of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Prime is more cost-effective since you don't need much and they both do the same thing, so if you're not using it... you may want to pick some Prime up while you're at the store.
I am no in love with Prime. Got some the other day cause I saw so many have it. Works wonders and you only need a little bit!
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #10 
kfish

I didn't know about it when I bought my conditioner so I got the Amquel+/NovAqua+ pack (which I love). I'm switching to Prime when I run out because of the price, though!