Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #1 
coolcucumber

Oh, No! Hes choking!

My betta boy ate a food pellet, and i guess it was too big for him and hes choking! His gills are poofed out, he is getting white lines on either side of his face. is there anything i can do? He keeps trying to chew it.
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #2 
Maryrox247

I honestly am not sure but what i might try is a betta heimlich manuever kind of thing. ( never done this im just thinking about what might work of the tope of my head) Get him in a cup and get a net and GENTLY and QUICKLY poke him a few times in the stomach (NOT HIS HEAD) and my hypothesis is that the pellet will come out.
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #3 
HayrideHaunter

ohhhh poor dear! i hope he ends up okay!
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #4 
ParisRose

I'm so sorry! I wish I knew what to do. Maybe just chase him with a net and he'll spit it out.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:39 AM   #5 
coolcucumber

i really dont know what to do, i chased him around with my hand, and tried to poke his stomach. but nothing happenedd. he seems to be hiding alot, and he keeps trying to chew it (when they nod their head up and down to chew it? Im not sure if thats what it is) He is getting stress bars, though.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:59 AM   #6 
Maryrox247

hmm... can you post a picture if not describe PRECISLEY what he is doing and acting like right now, is he any different than you first description?
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:06 AM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

I wouldn't chase him around with anything, that's only going to stress him out and could further interfere with his breathing if he's already having trouble. I know some people have been successful in using tweezers to remove the blockage, but bettas are so small it could very well cause more harm than good.

I'm not sure if massaging it down will work, but if he's suffering, it might be worth using whatever means you can think of. One of my bettas unfortunately choked to death, and it has made me very conscious of the size of food I use. I hope your guy manages to pull through, I will have my fingers crossed for him.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #8 
bamsuddenimpact

From now on try aqueon pellets. I purchased them after thinking my current ones were too big, and there is a huge size difference in the pellets.
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #9 
coolcucumber

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the suggestions. He seems to have swallowed it, his gills arent poofed up any more.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #10 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

coolcucumber,

Hooray! So glad your betta is okay now! :D

Food choices: Hakari Betta Bio-Gold comes in baby pellet size, very tiny. It's what my betta 'grew up' on (and boy did she grow up - 3" long now). So far, it has been a good choice for her size-wise and nutritionally.

Good luck in the future!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote