Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #1 
luvem

10 gal. set-up pics please!

I'm a newbie; got my first 5 gal. Fluval Chi for my betta at Christmas and already am addicted. After buying 2 corys and a snail (RIP), I bought 3 neon tetras. Everybody is doing well but I want MORE! I just went out and bought a 10 gal. starter set. I've been going through the pics of other people's fantastic looking aquariums and was hoping to narrow things down and get some specific help. I'm looking for pics of planted 10 gal. rectangular tanks and any advice about how to furnish my fishy's new home. Real plants/silk plants? Gravel/sand?
I want my 10 gal. to be peaceful looking, like my Chi. Thanks in advance.....
luvem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #2 
Alex09

Be careful not to overstock your tank and do research on fish and plants before buying them.

Here is my open top 10 gallon setup:

More pics/ info: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=59897
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #3 
luvem

Thanks for replying, Alex09. You have a nice looking set-up. Are your plants real or silk? I like the driftwood, too. How many fish do you have in your tank? I plan on moving my 3 tetras over to the 10 gal. and add some type of platys. I have been looking at the orange with black accents....can't remember the name right now. And maybe another betta. I have been admiring all the different varieties people have here. So many beautiful fish!!
luvem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #4 
Alex09

Plants are real. Visit the link below the pic for more info.

I would recommended you get more of the same kind of tetra than platies. Tetras are shoaling fish and need to be kept in groups of at least 6, preferably 8+. In smaller groups they become more stressed (they feel "vulnerable" without the protection of being in a large group) and as such will be more prone to ilness, and unwanted behaviors such as fin-nipping - which your betta will not appreciate. I would say you can easily fit up to 10 neons in a 10 gal along with a betta.

If you want platies then you can maybe return the tetras and try a few platies. Maybe even a few cory catfish as well.

Another thing:
Platies+bettas / tetras+ bettas dont always mix so be prepared to rehome one of the species if problems occur.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #5 
Apocalypse

My 10 gallon live planted:

15ish Red Cherry Shrimp + Betta
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #6 
lilchiwolf

Even know all my plants are fake...I still like my set up :P
Attached Images

lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #7 
sayurasem

bump^^^^
anyone know how to get rid / minimize the white sealant in the corner on the tank?? my tank has a wide thick sealent and it looks..... wrong. i know those sealent are the thing keep the glass together but atleast i want them skinny as possible.

Last edited by bearwithfish; 01-28-2011 at 02:31 PM.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #8 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
bump^^^^
anyone know how to get rid / minimize the white sealant in the corner on the tank?? my tank has a wide thick sealent and it looks..... ---. i know those sealent are the thing keep the glass together but atleast i want them skinny as possible.
I don't think you can... They do look unsightly and I just learned to live with it. You can try to minimize it but then you risk the integrity of the tank and having 10 gals of water spill on the floor.

Last edited by bearwithfish; 01-28-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #9 
ChicagoPete

Pulling off or even messing with the sealent is only gunna seporate or cause leaks through the corners and water on the floor is never a good thing.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #10 
boro

Yeah, definitely don't do that...there is some intense water pressure even in such a small tank so I would definitely not mess with the tank...

Anyway here's mine, some plants are real and some are silk.

boro is offline   Reply With Quote