Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
bump^^^^
anyone know how to get rid / minimize the white sealant in the corner on the tank?? my tank has a wide thick sealent and it looks..... wrong. i know those sealent are the thing keep the glass together but atleast i want them skinny as possible.
I know people that de-rim their tanks to get a cleaner look. You just need a really sharp scalpel like tool and a very steady hand. The bond between silicone and glass is very strong, and I have seen people safely de-rim a 20 gallon long tank.

I would definitely research it first, and there's a lot of info floating around on how to get rid of excess silicone (particularly on planted tank forums). The only thing you have to be careful with, is that tanks with rims and/or braces usually have thinner glass because of the support the rims offer and can sometimes start bulging quite noticeably.

But if you're only just removing excess silicone, and not the actual silicone holding the tank together, you should be fine. I don't recommend going all gung-ho, and I would probably do a leak test first if you intended on removing any larger amounts of silicone.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #12 
boro

I would be very cautious about removing silicone and even more so about removing the tank rim...

Even with only a foot of water in a 10 gallon tank (20"x10"x12") there is about 104 pounds of water force constantly pushing outward on the broader walls of the tank on either side and about 52 pounds of force pushing outward on either of the narrower sides...

Basically imagine your tank's seals and glass having to hold up a 104 pound weight day in and day out...

If you trim a little sure it may hold for a while, but there's a good possibility that the water pressure will eventually overwhelm the silicone as it ages and holds less of a bond with the glass.

I used to be an engineering major before I switched to medicine...lol.

Last edited by boro; 01-28-2011 at 03:34 PM.
boro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

People do it all the time on planted forums with cheaper rimmed tanks, and I haven't read of anyone's tank exploding or pulling apart at the join. Some of these set-ups last for years or more before they tear them down to make up a new one.

It all depends on how much silicone you are actually removing, and where. Silicone bonds very strongly to glass, and in a ten gallon the only way it would fall apart is if the silicone itself fails.

However, I wouldn't do it on anything over ten gallons, simply because I would be chopped up into little pieces and scattered throughout the park near my house if that much water ended up on my floor. It all depends on how brave (or crazy) you are I suppose.

Edit: Here's a PDF showing how to remove silicone/de-rim your tank:
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah....immed_Tank.pdf
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #14 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
bump^^^^
anyone know how to get rid / minimize the white sealant in the corner on the tank?? my tank has a wide thick sealent and it looks..... wrong. i know those sealent are the thing keep the glass together but atleast i want them skinny as possible.
If it's in the rear just toss a tall plant or deco to hide it.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #15 
Cassandra90

Here is my 10 gallon tank, the plants are fake but Ill be getting live plants soon!
Attached Images

Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:50 AM   #16 
HarleyRigid

More plants to come and maybe a few shrimp
Attached Images

HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #17 
Tomsk

My 10G planted community tank.This was my first tank (I now have 4 and I'm picking another one up tomorrow ).
Tomsk
Attached Images

Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #18 
ChicagoPete

Heres a current yet not so favorite update on Herb's 10 gallon.
Attached Images

ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote