Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #1 
Aluyasha

Smile Meet Darcia, The Living Among The Dead.

I just got home with my 9th Betta, Darcia. He is a purple VT with red hints. He has very bad fin rot. I got him from Walmart (you can guess where this is going). 7 of their Bettas were dead and about 80% of the live ones were severly diseased, one actually died in my hands. I just could not leave him there, he was one of the few that had a chance. And, he is so hansome.
He is settling in at the moment so I only got to take a few photos.
Meet Darcia:

(Sorry some of the pictures suck. I did not want to stress him out)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #2 
ChicagoPete

O my Gosh one passed in your hands how sad!! Its good that you rescude him from the same fait he whould of had if you left him there with the others!
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #3 
Pekemom

I hope he grows big & strong & beautiful!!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #4 
Lordsameth

He's gorgeous, but the condition of his fins makes me sad... take good care of him!
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Good, clean water and lots of good food (high protein stuff like frozen bloodworms) should heal him up in next to no time . You can add some aquarium salt if you want, but personally I just prefer to let them heal up on their own.

If you don't have a heater (I can't see one in your picture), I would suggest buying one to maintain a constant temperature. With his immune system so compromised by previous poor conditions it's important it doesn't fluctuate.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:10 AM   #6 
Aluyasha

Thank you for the comments everyone. I really hope he pulls through.
Though today he is not acting so good, he just lays on the bottom or floats at the top gulping for air. Also, he is refusing to eat anything.
I noticed too that he not only has fin rot, but also the start of fungus and ich. He is in for a tough recovery. I gave him his first round of meds today but he does not seem to be any better.
...Despite all that is going on however, he actually gets excited to see me. He is my first and only Betta that has been happy to see me from day one.
I already really love this little guy. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #7 
ChicagoPete

Ok your gunna have to follow these steps without using eny chemicles that only make things worse.

Get a gallon jug of Declorinated water and add 1 teaspoon pr gallon Aquarium Salt. Find some Tannins, examples, Indian Almond Leaves, Freshly fallen Oak Leaves, Black water Extract, or Decafeinated Green Tea. Finely Crush the Leaves and add to the Jug, let it steep for 1 hour before treatment.

Setup a quarintine system in the tank using a plastic cup or the one you got him in. Make A lid for it out of eather the one the cup came with or make one out of plastic rap, its to keep the surface moist to help him breath.

Durring each treatment fill a new cup with the treated water and attach it to the tank without your friend in it, so the temp equalizes to what hes in now. After getting your friend in the cup attach it to the side of the tank so it doesnt float around or sink in the water.

Treat him for 10 days straight even if he starts to look better. Hope this helps!!
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #8 
HayrideHaunter

oh hes beautiful! I cant wait to see how he looks when he's all healed and colored up =)...wonderful that you rescued him...I'm sure he's gonna be so happy in hi new home =D
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #9 
bettalover2033

Hey i have that tank! And he should begin coloring up soon.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote