Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #1 
MalayaBee

Question External heaters?

I've read on several other websites that small betta bowls can be heated using external reptile heaters... I've googled a few, and they look like little heating pads that you would sit the bowl on top of. As my new betta's bowl is only 2 gallons, I'd hate to crowd it even further with a submersible heater. Does anyone have experience using external heaters? The temperature is currently 73F in the bowl (it's winter here in Kansas City, and our apartment thermostat is set at 75F), so any increase would be beneficial. TIA! :)
MalayaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #2 
demonr6

I use this on my smaller tanks and it is completely unobtrusive.

Zoo Med Betta Therm Mini Size Betta Bowl Heater - Heaters & Accessories - Fish - PetSmart

Be aware though that it will only get up to a certain temperature and even then it can only get to about 7 degrees of ambient so if your home is at 60 degrees, the most it would ever reach is 67 degrees. Way less than what your Betta should be kept at.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #3 
ChicagoPete

Petsmart links do not work on here..... But I agree with the Zoomed Heater from them being your room temp is at 75 this whould be perfict if it stays that way.

Last edited by ChicagoPete; 01-28-2011 at 11:43 AM.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #4 
c4talys7

I got to the link just fine. I just wish I knew about those heaters before it could have made a real difference in my first Betta. Maybe I'll look into one of those for my QT bin. But I have also heard of people setting their small bowls on one of those reptile heaters as well. So going back to MalayaBee's question would that be acceptable if nothing else was available?
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #5 
demonr6

I thought of that at one time but my concern is how hot do they get, can you regulate the temperature efficiently and what kind of effect will it have considering you are heating the water via a plastic/glass then you have substrate as well to contend with. I may buy one for the heck of it and experiment.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #6 
c4talys7

You should totally let us know because if they work decently I might get one
Old 01-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #7 
demonr6

I have a critter keeper that I need to heat and this will be the victim, er, test bed.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #8 
c4talys7

I want to heat one of those too but not like a really huge one... Wonder if they make like adjustable heat plate things for reptiles. That would make it a little easier to get a better temp from them.

How big is the critter keeper "victim" you want to heat?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #9 
ChicagoPete

The thing about most 2 gallon heaters is their not ajustable like the one I have in my 2 gallon arcrilic hex, its preset to 78* then shuts off and when the temp drops turns back on being my room is at 71* it can reach it. But if my room temprature went down to like 65 it will only heat up 6 degrees warmer then the air temprature and not up to 78* but someware around 72*.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #10 
c4talys7

Yeah I had one of the pre-set heaters I got from walmart and it only kept it at like 74. I love the adjustable I have for my 14gal. Is 80 too high for Bettas? I heard that it's good if you're treating a sick fish. But Idk about around the clock.