Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #1 
Abby

LOCAL PET SHOP conditions...

ok so here in my town theres three pet shops. theres one the next town over im visiting later today and theres two aquairums then NEXT town over from that.

The first shop i wont even BOTHER taking a pic inside -shudders- the shop is PUTRID, BUT even though its COMPLETE mess and the tanks are pretty filthy she has good know how. granted i saw three dead and two almost dead bettas there today ( :( ) shes making my tank (if it is made badly my partner will refuse to buy it) she is nice, and she is part of aniimal rescue group to home cats and kittens and dogs and puppies...theres a kitty there i want but we have a cat already :(

the second is cleaner but horrible. they are always rushing to get you gone and they WWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY overstock the tanks. not to mention they were feeding ALL FISH (both fresh and saltwater) pond flakes.... they put 30-50 OR MORE in each tank. their salt water sections sinking and i would HATE to be there when it collapses.
i snuck a pic of the "Betta" section, you can see all the lovely bay tanks holding plants but NO BETTA GETS PUT THERE AT ALL. the Bettas are housed in the takeaway containers then tipped into a bag when purchased (mind you they are rough as guts in transferring the fish as well)

the females are kept spred in three different tanks depending on their type. the males are there abouve the bays and three piled high on a light around the corner on a plant tank.

the last one is where ive bought ALL my fish so far. they are clean, happy to spend 45 minutes talking (whups!) and always rush to dispose of deceased (on the rare occasion ones dead) fish.
here is the housing of the male bettas:

two of these sit side by side
the females are in a community tank.

what does your LPS look like???
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #2 
monroe0704

I'm pretty sure one of ours locally is a cover for a dealer... there is no effort to care for anything in there! The puppies were filthy :( None of the tanks had anything in it, and those that did had dead fish. Horrible. The one customer in the store looked high too and was just waiting for us to leave.
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #3 
Biomess

Those poor bettas! There's no reason they cannot be housed with the potted plants, and with that bright light right above their cups, I wonder how hot that gets?....Too bad they can't be reported somewhere.
Biomess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i want to take pics of my lps soooooo bad. it's so amazing. xD i don't know if they'd let me, though. :p
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #5 
Abby

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i want to take pics of my lps soooooo bad. it's so amazing. xD i don't know if they'd let me, though. :p

-sly look- i didnt ask....the good shop was talking to me while i was taking pictures.

just visited two more aquariums. the first was ok the bettas are in bay tanks with plenty of room, the second has them in LARGE roomy cups and is a reef shop but their shops BEAUTIFUL. they have crystal clear waters they build their own tanks and stands its run by a married couple with two kids (the boys about 4-5yrs and the girls 3-4) the kids are in the shop with their parents. they have a bed under the counter for the girl and thye have PLENTY of know how. Ill be happy to drive the 35 minutes from here to there for fish

Rebecca (the lady owner) was telling me they get anywhere up to or over 250 bettas at a time and that they can get any colour shhe even had a yello with purple and blue on his fins. we are going back to pick up a tank for my partner thursday (in five days) and by then she will have had a shipment of bettas xD ive got three shops with shipments coming late this week

god help me.......or kill me now cause im guna have as many as i can possibly fit XD

NB: after speaking to my partner i will be (in a few months) setting up a female sorority where ill have a decent crop of females XD
Old 01-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #6 
Lordsameth

Lol my LPS has them all in cups.
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

My LFS has some beautiful bettas, but they are all kept in half-filled jam jars . They have a wide range of tail types, and are very cheap in comparison to other stores in my area. It's where I bought my halfmoon Mars from and I got $10.00 off because he had a couple of tiny tears in his tail.

The rest of their stock is kept in amazing conditions and I love spending time there. They have everything from discus, to clownfish to several types of wild bettas. They also custom make tanks and they sell some of the best driftwood I have seen (I just sunk $50.00 on a hollow log piece).

I'm going back there on Tuesday to pick up a couple of 2FT tanks to divide up, and two more halfmoons I found when I got Mars.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #8 
Luimeril

i'd only ask, because the bettas are right there by the register. i'll tell them i'm bragging about how wonderful everything is. xD

i can ask them to get in any tail type i want. never tried for color, though.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #9 
shinybetta

My LFS takes great care of all their fish, shrimp, crayfish..... The bettas are kept in the plant tanks which are about 8 gallons and the ones that are in cups are clean and happy and get moved into a tank when the ones in the tank get bought. A customer said he has never seen a dead or sick fish and he has been going there for years (15!) It is a great shop and everything looked happy!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:31 AM   #10 
Abby

hmm the first of the three here in town gets what ever she can, the other one orders and charges by colour and type, the third can get me any colour or type and the reef one will get me WHAT EVER I WANT personaly :)

$10 off? What are the prices there?
in the First town shop they are about $12
in the second they range from $9 through to $15 depending on colour
the third is $10.95 for veil through to $14.95 for crowns.

The one the next town over is $9.90 across the board (one set price)
the reef shop is $10 flat across the board.

there are only two other petshops in my entire area and i havent looked there.
One is tiny and focus's on products the other was big on fish and then turned to birds not sure what fish they still keep...may pay to give em a call come monday ;P