Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #11 
maycausedeath

Oh whoops, I swore I had posted some pictures! I guess it logged me out during it or something.

Thanks for all the information OFL! I was wondering what I should do with the filter.

Here's a picture of his tank. It's in the kitchen for now, until I get everything sorted out and it hopefully cycles. Ignore my moms funky little buddha statues.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Sorry for the bad picture, turns out he's really camera shy, and will shoot off whenever he sees it. I also managed to a picture where you can barely see the little loop on his fin... It also doesn't do him justice. He has these little tiny iridescent spots inside every one of his scales, which you can kinda see.

I am a little worried, since he's rejected all of his pellets, and will just back up about an inch whenever he sees the tweezers that I was trying to feed him blood worms with since the darn things will not sink. He also spends all of his time either on the very top or bottom of the tank, or inside his little hideaway. He spent last night in there, but I'm worried about him spending most of today in there, and the whole not eating thing. He's also discovered he can swim into the top and make it look like the tank is empty, which is quite stressful since I have two cats, and one is a hunter!

Edit: Sorry about the bad image quality on the second picture! Imageshack was corrupting it for some reason. Also, I'm planning on getting some frogbit on ebay, since I can't seem to find an online seller with it in stock or without a minimum order. How risky is this?

Last edited by maycausedeath; 01-29-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: bad image quality
maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #12 
turtle10

Try soaking the bloodworms in some of his tank water first. Also, I heard on here that rubbing a bit of garlic on the pellet/worm makes it extra enticing for them.

About the frogtbit… have you tried Aquabid?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #13 
maycausedeath

Ah good idea. I'm gonna try it out tomorrow, since he decided that after sleeping all day he should dart around the tank and play with the thermometer. (I would set it out tonight but my cat will get into it because she's a troublemaker.) The lights were all off and everyone was asleep but he didn't seem to mind. Weird kid. Anyway I gave him two pellets, one of which he gobbled up, and the other which he didn't notice even though it nearly clonked him on the head. Darn filter.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #14 
turtle10

Yeah Aquabid has so many plants, you can get pretty good deals too. My lfs is way more expensive. Not sure if plants are the same, but on Aquabid you can get 20 cherry shrimp for $20 including shipping, but at my lfs it is $8 PER shrimp!

Bettas are funny like that :)

Also, if the current is too strong, you could make a filter baffle. I have made two, they work really well and take about 2 minutes to make. A plus, it made the filter completely silent!

For Filter Baffle:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
Old 01-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #15 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycausedeath View Post
I tried to give him freeze dried bloodworms as a treat, but I quickly decided they're terrifying and I hate them. I couldn't get it to sink and it stuck to me. !
Float a single strand or two, once he gets a taste (most betta's love bloodworms) am sure he will come around to figuring out surface food is good. If you don't want to get your fingers "icky", just use the cap. Tip the container til you get one or two strands and drop it using the cap.

You are off to a rousing start with the 2.5. Also the fact that you have come here will only increase your chances of becoming a good owner for your betta.

Your betta looks amazing!
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #16 
maycausedeath

I've had this typed three times, and it's logged me out each time :| I'm not happy right now.

Turtle10: I completely forgot about the frogbit! I found one on aquabid, but it's about the same price as the ebay one. The deals for bulk are great though! I just have such a small tank it's not really helpful. Plus that import warning banner is so terrifying...

Hah, forget local fish stores. The one nearest me is barely local, and the staff are rude 90% of the time. They sold me and individual cory for the notoriously overpopulated and rarely cleaned mosquito fish tank, saying it would clean the tank... And the prices are just like what you said! It doesn't help that they've been branching into mammals and birds.

I've actually been thinking about getting some RCS, or a nerite snail. They're less terrifying than ghost shrimp, and I'v heard they're also smaller and better cleaners. Of course I'd have to wait for the tank to cycle because they're delicate. Hah, I'm not even sure if they'd fit! I've got them on my mind because someone on craigslist is practically giving them away near my mom's buddhist center.

Don't worry, I've got an adjustable filter turned all the way down. It just creates enough surface current to move food pellets. The java fern in there is sitting loose in it's pot and it doesn't get moved.

Scootshoot: I tried that for about 20 minutes last night, but to no avail. He's a bit of a diva, and will only eat food in that tiny window of time when it's sinking.

Thank you! I had no idea they were such complicated and personable fish, and I'm just trying to take care of him as best as I can! Your avatar is adorable by the way :>
Old 01-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #17 
turtle10

Pet stores are so irritating, you would think they know what they are selling!

For a 2.5 a few shrimp would be perfect :). Just be careful, with my Bellino there was only one surviving shrimp.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #18 
maycausedeath

Great! I was worried it would be overstocked with them. Is that because of your betta or the shrimp fighting between themselves? Haha I've heard some pretty crazy things about ghost shrimp fighting between themselves.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #19 
bettafish15

One thing that stood out to me; 76 is, IMO/E, the minimum for a betta. I'd get to 78 :D I personally keep my betta at 80-82, the lowest being 78 since my room gets colder at night ;D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #20 
turtle10

I had 8 red cherry shrimp in for a week, then Bellino (my betta) arrived. Two days later, a shrimp carcass turns up. I do a tank cleaning and I see that there are a total of three dead shrimp, or at least their remains. That means he ate four whole ones! One survived, but he is with my guppies now and three new shrimpies. I know ghost shrimp can be aggressive towards each other and bettas, so I would suggest red cherry shrimp.