Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #1 
Sweeda88

WHY do they do this?!

I cannot understand why this one seller on Aquabid takes the fish out of the tank to measure it! Literally lays it on a table, right out in the open air. I can't stand it! I'm not linking to it because linking to things showing animal abuse is against the rules, but no linking is needed to know that it is torture to the fish.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #2 
bloo97

It is cruel. D:
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

I know. I would never buy from that seller, even if he does have nice fish. The poor little babies. =(
Old 01-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i've seen where they have them in bags with water to measure, which i like ALOT more. it's horrid to take them out of the water, though, and plop them onto a table, JUST to show how big they are. :/
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

It's really difficult to get a good measurement in their jar so they take them out of the water and measure them. It's really not that bad....seeing how bettas can live out of water for up to 5 hours.

There's another reason:

Let's say I have a female betta that's a little less than two inches long...I need to have a male around 2-2.5 inches long to be able to breed her...I wouldn't know his size and then I'd be dissapointed when I get him out of the box because he's not fit to breed with her.

Last edited by MrVampire181; 01-22-2011 at 04:31 PM.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Most fish can tolerate being out of the water for a short time and often this needs to be done for other reason besides measurements...if done correctly it can be safe...care needs to be made to protect the slim coat, keeping the gills moist and to place the fish back in the water as soon as possible...if longer time is needed for a treatment...sometimes you have to place the fish in and out of the water on occasion.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

Okay, thanks for the information. =)
Old 01-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #8 
tsoto80

Wouldnt the betta flop around like other fish? If so I dont see how they can measure it. I wouldnt know though I never done it before
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #9 
Alex09

It's not cruel. So long as they remain wet they will be fine. The fish don't really flop either. Whenever I net my bettas they lay still.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

By using wet soft towel-you lay these over the fish body and uncover the area that you need to work on...if you keep a wet cloth over the head/eye the fish -they will usually lay still.....often a piece of paper is used and you mark the fish- nose to tail for TL (total length) and from nose to caudal peduncle for ST (standard length) and put the fish back in the tank in less than 30sec to 1 minute...treatments can sometimes take longer-but the fish is usually back in the water in under 5 minutes.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote