Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #1 
baylee767

Unhappy Poor Veiltails

It isn't fair

On Oahu there are many places that sell Bettas... MANY. Most of them sell fancy Bettas (Hm's, PK's, etc.) and veils. 85% of the places that sell veils and fancy treat most of their fancy Bettas great. The fancy ones are very active, disease free, and in very clean water.

But the veiltails, and sometimes crowntails, are kept in horrible condition. They'll be lethargic with clamped fins and not moving in brown water, and
you can't even tell what color they are.

IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE . Just because veiltails are more common they deserve to suffer more? If you don't want to take care of them don't sell them!!!!! I hate looking at the happy fancy Bettas and all the sick and dead veiltails. They don't deserve this, and I wish the idiots who breed them would just stop so they don't have to suffer more than the other Bettas just because in some peoples minds the other Bettas are prettier.

Not all the stores are like this, but most are. I wish those veils could suddenly sprout halfmoon tails so they could get a good life too.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #2 
elijahfeathers

I think a big part of it is people are quicker to grab up the new, fancy shipments. The fancy fish fly off the shelf before they can be neglected by the pets stores a lot of the time, I think. 8C
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #3 
Luimeril

it's hard getting a HM or HMPK at my lps. :/ they fly off the shelves the moment they're put out. i was super lucky to get Dante, and i think the only reasons he was still there, is because he wasn't marked as Halfmoon(though he's delta. lol), and he was this ugly brown-grey bodied blob with orangey fins. not the prettiest thing on the shelf.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #4 
bettamaniac

breeders arent going to stop breeding veiltails because most petstores only sell veiltails so if there were no more veiltails some petstores would have to stop selling bettas unless they also sold crowntails has anyone noticed that veiltails are actually some of the most beautiful bettas
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #5 
naturegirl243

Actually I love VT's.I think most petstores only sell them cause they can get them cheaper and sell them cheaper since there are so many.Alot of my friends always ask me if there are different kinds of bettas.So the veil really is just the most common.I actually think veils are the hardiest betta splendens cause of how people have treated them, I think about my Youki for example he is in a ten gal. split with clean warm water and he randomly blew his fins could you imagine him in a bowl with someone that barely knows anything about bettas?It's awful how veils are treated but I will admit they are hardy little buggers cause of it.if you look at Mizu the fish in my avatar and look at the before pictures I have in my albums he is deffinatly a example of poorly treated petstore fish.Sorry about my rambleing I am in a talkative mood.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote