Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2011, 02:55 AM   #1 
c4talys7

Question Possible ick? Should I start treatment?

This is Pepper, I notice as I took him out of his bin today for a water change that there are these white specks that were not there before I think. His behavior has not changed and he still likes to flare at me and he eats very well and it still active. I only became concerned because he was sleeping a lot but I think that is just his schedule because he's sleeping on and off at random times. He has been making a bubble nest every morning after I change the water the night before and right now he is flaring up at my other Betta.

He is in a 1.5 gal treated plastic bin and I change the water every day. I am currently cycling a divided 14gal for my two Betta fish. The water is a little on the low end in temp I would say because I don't have a heater in either of them. I am waiting to get my old one shipped to me from Oregon (I'm in Hawaii right now for school)

Anyways I have some ick away and was wondering if I should start treatment? I also have aquarium salt if that would work as well. They are both active Bettas. Here are the best pictures I could get. Some of the white specks in the cups are because it's dirty on the outside but when looking at his tail you can see some white specks. I'm also not sure if he has raised scales but I might just be paranoid and think they are when really they might not be.

There is none of his face from what I can tell just those specks on the bottom of his tail.

As a side note, that tear in his tail went almost up to his body when I bought him and that little ruffly part of his tail was like that when I bought him as well.

Last edited by c4talys7; 01-29-2011 at 03:09 AM.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:40 AM   #2 
c4talys7

Ok, I'm just going to use aquarium salt and the conditioner. I am using AquaSafe conditioner and put in 1/4tsp for my gallon jug (if my conversions are right because its 5ml for every 10gal.) Then I added an even teaspoon of AQ salt and I am waiting on that to dissolve currently.

I looked at some older threads and found OFL had responded on several of them. From what I read she was recommending daily water changes for mild cases and that AQ salt will help too. Since I am already doing daily water changes I will go with the AQ salt path. Tomorrow I will look into finding a decent heater for him, WalMart sells the preset ones but the first one I got couldn't get the temp about 74*F.

Last edited by c4talys7; 01-29-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:57 AM   #3 
c4talys7

Ok, it is ick. I found a speck on his body as well. Only one. I'm going to still continue with the AQ salt unless it gets worse or someone else recommends otherwise. I will try to get an adjustable heater or at least something tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #4 
bamsuddenimpact

It also looks like he has fin rot which the aquarium salt will help with.
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #5 
turtle10

Yeah I agree with Bam, he does have fin rot.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #6 
c4talys7

Really? His tail hasn't been getting any shorter and it was kinda torn looking when I got hin. These pictures are an improvement from what he looked like. His tail hasn't gotten better since I brought him home and has even gotten color to it. That tear in his fin is healing it was much bigger before. Anyways I already started him with the salt for the ick problem so if he does have fin rot it will be gone soon.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #7 
c4talys7

Update

I managed to find a 25W heater that says it for up to 10gallons. I will try this heater out tonight and see if it gives a good temperature for my Betta before putting him in. Only one of my boys has a heater right now but the other is very healthy and active so I'm not too concerned about him right now. A heater is on his way for him.

So currently he is being treated with AQ salt and no medication yet. He has less white specks on him today.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #8 
turtle10

Sounds good :)
Old 01-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #9 
c4talys7

Thanks :) my friend who has had ich on a fish before said I caught it pretty early so hopefully he'll be okay soon.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #10 
turtle10

I don't have much experience with ich, but I think he is gonna be A-ok :)