Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2011, 04:04 AM   #1 
Duncan13

Guppies!

I've recently decided to breed guppies for fun. Today I went out to buy my breeding stock (2 males and 3 females). On the way home, one of the females started dropping fry! I rushed home and let her deliver the rest of her fry. There are 7-8 that I can count. I'm not expecting very many to survive since they were born in a bag on a car, but I hope atleast 1 or 2 make it. Some are swimming around and the others are resting on the bottom. Is that normal? Right now I have 4 tanks. One large planted tank for the females to breed and give birth in, one tank for the males, one tank for the females, and one tank for the fry. I tried getting pics of the fry but they are just too small!
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:12 AM   #2 
mand

Congratulations on the fry.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:43 AM   #3 
Duncan13

Thank you! Some of the fry must have been eaten before they got seperated, because when I counted again, there were only 4 left. Later on, one died. Now, I have 3 babies in a 2 gallon that is densely planted. I hope they survive.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:27 AM   #4 
Duncan13

I put the males into one tank and the females into the big breeding tank. So far, I am seeing babies every 30 minutes or so. Then I scoop them up and put them into the fry tank as soon as I see them. I'm seeing two colors, some of the fry are transparent, and some of the fry are darker. Could this mean that two or more of the females are giving birth? The thing is, I can't seem to figure out which of the females I have about 8 fry now. I think that 12 babies have been born, 2 died, and 2 disappeared. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Last edited by Duncan13; 01-29-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:45 AM   #5 
mand

I've never managed to see any of my guppies giving birth or seen any fry. Mine are in a community tank with female bettas, zebra danios and tetras so i'm guessing any fry get eaten as soon as there born. I know a female can give birth to lots of different colored fry. Usuall when there giving birth they tend to hide so if one keeps disapearing it's probably that 1 who's having them.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, I hope your fry make it!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:09 AM   #7 
Jupiter

I've seen one of my dad's guppies give birth once. It's actually pretty interesting. You'd think that the fry are so small that it would be easy, but the 'hole' (I don't know what it's actually called) is actually smaller, it was hard for me to see it.

Good luck with the guppies!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:18 AM   #8 
Duncan13

Thank you! None of the 8 remaining fry have died yet, but a few of them just float at the top and swim verry slowly. The ones that float still have their yolk sac so I'm thinking that they were born premature. Out of my 3 females, I'm pretty sure now that two of them are pregnant. A few of the fry are really strong and active, and the others just sort of float around. I really hope they make it too!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #9 
shinybetta

I've been breeding guppies for 6 years. It is fun raising the fry! Hope you can get them to be adults
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #10 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

jupiter,

The term you're looking for is 'gravid spot' :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote