Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #1 
Betta Slave

Am I The Only One?

'Cause I sure feel like it.

Am I the only one who unknowingly buys 8/10 of their bettas with parasites of some sort? I can't stay half an hour to watch them flash or anything like that... At one point I was treating 6 bettas at one time for gill parasites.

So I'm just curious- are anyone else's pet-stores infested with parasites, and you just don't bother saying anything about it on the forums, or is your pet-store parasite free?

(No, as much as it sounds like it, this is not a rant... I now see parasites as part of my daily fish-keeping life )
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #2 
baylee767

I'm not sure if the petstore had parasites... but both of my bettas have/had them. Velvet died of them and I just found out Neon has them... aren't parasites amazing? (joking on that last part)

I have noticed most of the Bettas around here have parasites. At every fish store there will be many with parasites, something I've learned that I have to really watch out for. It's so annoying that 90% of the Bettas sold here have parasites, so if you really love a Betta it probably has them, and you can't get it. I wonder why they all have them?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #3 
Alex09

My old king betta died from internal parasites 15 days (just one day after their "guarantee") after buying him from petco... My other fish from there have been fine though.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Not saying this is what is happening in your case but a general statement....

Most Betta will have some parasites both internal and external in manageable numbers and the fish will not be symptomatic to the parasite/pathogens unless the immune response is compromised- usually from stress....(removed from the pet shop-driven in the car-add to a new tank all within a few hours)....they get stressed and a stressed fish immune response may lower as a result of this stress and the parasite or pathogen can infect or become problematic/symptomatic with the natural defense compromised.

Then sometimes they will not be acclimated properly and they will suddenly be placed from low or room temp to a higher temp water too fast and this adds even more stress.....and often this is when you will see columnaris or ich...the slight change in pH can be stressful and if the tank is mature or with high nitrate can also compromise immune response

If you are having lot of trouble with one pet shop I would talk to the pet shop and see if any of the Bettas currently in their care are having the same problem you have and if so...they are the same problem and then ask what type of treatment they are doing and often they will give you enough product to treat your fish too(a good pet shop will do this), if not...then they may not be the problem per se.......

Acclimate the Betta slowly by adding small amounts of your tank water to the pet shop water and Betta over at least 30min-1hr...you need to acclimate the Betta to more than just the water temp you also need to acclimate to your source water chemistry- and never add pet shop water to your tank......turn off the light and provide a dimly lit quiet space and no food for the first 24h

If the Betta will be going into a divided tank with other Bettas....you should QT the new Betta for at least 2 weeks...3 weeks even better and remember the QT time line starts over if the fish gets sick during the QT period
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:36 AM   #5 
Betta Slave

Thank you OFL, never knew that responses could be triggered by stress! That's interesting.

I do acclimate my bettas slowly, and I don't add pet-store water to the tanks either... I am pretty careful with that stuff.

I'll talk to the pet-store I'm having problems with today, and I'll see what can be done... though I have a feeling they don't treat their fish for anything.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #6 
emberdragon

Also, to add to this, most pet stores receive fish weekly (at least mine receives a huge batch every Thursday) and the pet store is not always in control. The store itself has fish exchange at such a high rate, and most of the employees do not know what to look for, let alone how to treat it. So when they sell them to you, if a condition is aggravated and surfaces, bring it up with the store manager that there is a problem and make sure the employees are knowledgeable on how to recognize and treat any diseases. If they have the ability to recognize and treat them, then usually they have already taken precautions to prevent such diseases from surfacing with their entire batch of bettas (as well as other fish).

At least I know this happens with my store, I'm hoping this will help. :)
emberdragon is offline   Reply With Quote