View Poll Results: Petsmart or Petco?
Petsmart 12 48.00%
Petco 13 52.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2011, 05:45 AM   #11 
Aluyasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKandRJ View Post
That joke is lost on me.. what are cichlids?
A Cichlid is a class of fish, Red Devils, Convicts, Jack Dempseys, Oscars, Blood Parrot, Flower Horn, ect...
Most are known to be very aggressive and messy, most also grow very large and will eat anything smaller than them.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #12 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I guess it boils down to knowing your local stores and who does what best.

In order to get a khuli loach, for example, I had to drive over an hour away to a non-chain aquarium store. But for most things, Petco & Petsmart are only about 20 minutes away (and they are less than a mile from each other).
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #13 
EKandRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
A Cichlid is a class of fish, Red Devils, Convicts, Jack Dempseys, Oscars, Blood Parrot, Flower Horn, ect...
Most are known to be very aggressive and messy, most also grow very large and will eat anything smaller than them.
Ah, they're aggressive, I see. I was thinking maybe they were tiny things the betta would attack and eat. quite the contrary then lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
Petsmart has alot more products to choose from. Petco only had a tiny shelf of fish stuff and rodent stuff and ferret stuff, Petco is mostly about just dogs and cats. Petsmart also takes better care of their animals. They clean the Betta cups and feed them each day. As for the other pets they have very large cages for the birds and alot of play things for the rodents.
So yeah, I would pick Petsmart. (The one here anyway)
Good to know about them taking good care of the animals. They have the bettas in blue water though, which I don't understand. It obscures their colors. I wasn't positive what either of my guys looked like until I got them home and into clear water.

Last edited by EKandRJ; 01-30-2011 at 07:48 PM.
EKandRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #14 
ChicagoPete

They usually put them in blue water to treate them for paracites and infections.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #15 
619Ray

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPete View Post
They usually put them in blue water to treate them for paracites and infections.
I was wondering why they did that. I went to Petsmart today for the first time, usually go to Petco, I must say I was very impressed. Clean store, helpful employees and alot more decorations and tanks to pick from. I'll be going to Petsmart for now on. :)
619Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #16 
emberdragon

cichlids are a very aggressive tropical fish. Depending on whether they're african or south american, they would eat a betta in a few seconds, or at least beat it to death..
emberdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #17 
EKandRJ

I actually went to Petco today to look around. They seemed to have a lot less than Petsmart, less variety on accessories but higher prices. I was looking for a heater, couldn't find any, and also couldn't find anyone to ask. They did have more betta varieties though. The first time I saw anything other than a veil or crown tail in person, other than pics on this website.
EKandRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #18 
DazzleKitty

I voted Petco because they definitely have a bigger selection of betta types and lots of cool colors. They also seem to have a bigger amount of betta accessories.

But Petsmart certainly has more decor and other animal products I'll say.
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote