Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #1 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Meat thermometers - not just for pork roasts any more!

Okay, I know this sounds bizzare, but a meat thermometer is great for quick accurate readings of tank water temperature.

The type of meat thermometer has a round temperature dial mounted on 4" metal spike. Stick the spike all the way into the water and you'll get an accurate reading in seconds.

This tool is especially handy if your tank has a 'mood ring' outside-the-tank thermometer stuck to it, and the thermometer reading is being corrupted by over hot/cold air temperature.

I tested the one gallon tank several times last night, with the meat thermometer - as my Tetra heater was 'under the suspicions', as Inspector Clouseau used to say.

Miss America, my betta fry, swam right up to the meat thermometer, inspected it and bit it, lol! Nevertheless, the thermometer did its job.

The point here is, that no matter what the reading on the outside thermometer was, the inner temperature remained constant. The meat thermometer proved that the Tetra heater was truly working properly.

Hope you find this tip useful...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

LOL - Miss America was probably trying to get a bite of roast!!! :)

Thanks for the tip - very handy to know!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I bought a digital thermometer in the housewares dept for less than $5.oo at walmart several years ago and have been using this for my quick temp checks in my tanks, water temp regulation when I mix water for BBS hatching, when I make water changes and for treatment water...etc.....

It works great and it looks just like the one sold for aquarium that cost over $35.00....seems that if it has aquarium on the label the price goes up...lol.....and has even survived being totally submersed in water when I have dropped it in my tanks...more than once...laffs....I really need to get another one...lol.....

Anyway-I agree-although I use the stick-on the tank type thermometer on all my tanks too the temp can vary some and also water temp can be different at different levels in the tank especially in non-filtered tanks or tanks without any water movement....with that said...fish generally do not have any problems going from one temp level to the other in the tank because it is gradual and it usually will not vary more that 5 degrees...some a bit more or less depending on the tank size especially the deep tanks

Location of the- in the tank or on the tank type thermometer can also make a difference in reading- as well as the location of the heater as compared to the location of the thermometers......getting exact temps are not that important with healthy adults- but you do want to be pretty close so you can maintain a stable temp.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #4 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
A candy thermometer works well too....Just don't let your tank heat to the "Hard Crack Stage."
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybetta View Post
A candy thermometer works well too....Just don't let your tank heat to the "Hard Crack Stage."
laffs.....
Old 01-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #6 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Lion Mom,

You're welcome :)

oldfishlady,

I think one of the big things I learned this winter was the difference between what my room thermostat is set on, what the actual room tempurature is, what the tank thermostat is set on and what the actual tank water tempurature is. And then, to factor in the rising/falling temperatures outside and how that impacts all those things.

I now keep yet another handy kitchen item - a refridgerator/freezer thermometer - next to the 5 gallon fish tank, so I can see the actual room tempurature is and adjust it, so the tank stays constant. Maybe with my new tank heater it shouldn't even be an issue... but when it was -20f the room was way colder than today, when it's 40F outside...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Good idea....and its amazing on how many common household items we can use with our fish and tanks and save money......as long as we properly clean them first and with some items I label "Fish only"...I have made some pretty neat tools by using common items around the house and items I bought from light strip, light bulbs, filter media, thermometers..... to name a few......that has saved me lots of money and still get the same results as items labeled "aquarium use".....