Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #1 
neekis

Snails.....

So I got 2 mystery snails a couple weeks ago. I now have at least 6 baby snails in my tank. I don't know if they are mystery snail babies or reg aquarium snails. I never saw an egg sac from the mystery snails...

How can you tell the difference between baby common snails and baby mystery snails? I've been looking at pics, I can't really tell. Regardless, I think I have to get rid of them, but I'm curious if Petco contaminated my aquarium with the regular common snail when I got the two mystery snails?

Any help would be great. Thanks!
neekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #2 
Kitdae

maybe they bred and hid the eggs in a spot you didnt look?
Kitdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #3 
neekis

I don't think so, but I guess it's possible.....
Old 01-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #4 
bamsuddenimpact

well last I knew, snails were asexual and produced babies on a whim practically haha Do you have any live plants in your tanks? That might be the cause..
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #5 
animallover4lyfe

once you have one snail they just keep on multiplying, especially if you have live plants.
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:24 AM   #6 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover4lyfe View Post
once you have one snail they just keep on multiplying, especially if you have live plants.
I just got Desi (Pronounced half-heartily like 'Dizzy') on Saturday and already she's been laying little egg clutches in a few places, little clutches of maybe 20 strange black teeny tiny rice shaped things. Or are these even eggs?
Hopefully my Ghost shrimps will eat them? She's a VERY active snail and really takes the 'Mystery' idea seriously where... you'll watch her slowly move around in one spot... then you'll leave for a minute and come back and she's VANISHED. Finally to reappear on the other side of the tank from behind a plant. I'm starting to think snails are strong critters too haha. To anyone whose looked at my Tank Photo's in my gallery you'll see a LARGE shell in the background. Desi was investigating around it and must have found something interesting under it and simply pushed the entire shell out of the way to get at what was under it.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #7 
neekis

Well, I know with Mystery Snails, it takes 2 to tango! I know other snails are asexual.

As for my plants, I purchased the ones in the tubes so they are snail free. Also, I've had my plants for many months, so I'm sure that's not the cause.

Thanks for the input everyone...I guess I will just have to see. One of the mystery snails died last week, so I only have one mystery snail left. As for the babies, I only have one left in there that I can see. I think I'll leave him in there to see if he (or she) ends up being a mystery snail....and hopefully not mating with the one big mystery snail I have left!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #8 
neekis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
I just got Desi (Pronounced half-heartily like 'Dizzy') on Saturday and already she's been laying little egg clutches in a few places, little clutches of maybe 20 strange black teeny tiny rice shaped things. Or are these even eggs?
I believe you may be seeing "snail poop"! Not positive, but I know my snail poops ALOT! I've heard it's good for the plants, so I'm not going to worry too much.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #9 
CjRager89

My 10 gallon got overrun with snails, I had to clear it out and start new :/
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #10 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekis View Post
I believe you may be seeing "snail poop"! Not positive, but I know my snail poops ALOT! I've heard it's good for the plants, so I'm not going to worry too much.
If thats the case... ................................. Ow... my head hurts now from trying to think of "Wait so then Desi is male? Wait... no female! ... No wait!"
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote