Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #1 
Melbell

How am I doing?

Okay... So I've had my little betta (Fluffy) for about a month now, and I'm curious about how I am doing.

He lives in a 1.5 gallon filtered tank (one of those tetra ones). I do a 100% water change every Saturday--rinse all the fake plants and gravel and put in water that has been sitting out for 24 hours (I also add Aqueon dechlorinator). I do a 75% water change every Wednesday. Every time I've checked the ammonia level (before I clean his tank), the level has always been very low. Also, every time I clean his tank, I move around the plants so that he could have a "new" place to explore once a week.

I don't have a heater, but the temperature in my room is pretty warm--so the water temperature is pretty warm and consistent. I wrap a scarf around his tank at night so that the heat can stay in. There's a picture of his tank below, but that was when I first got him--there's a silk flower in there now.
Name:  DSCN1111.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  98.8 KB

Anyway, I'm just wondering how you think I'm doing. I'm totally open to suggestions! :)
Melbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #2 
turtle10

Fluffy lives in a pineapple under the sea! lol :)

With a tank that small, unfortunately large daily water changes are necessary. Also, even though your room stays warm, the temperature still fluctuates so if you can try to get a heater so it stays constant.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #3 
Lordsameth

A heater is a must! I have a 2 gallon tank which receives daily 75% changes. It can be a pain, but your Betta will love you for it, and be much healthier.

He does have an interesting tank, and I'll bet he's very happy! You might want to construct some sort of lid for the tank and then full it right up with water so he has as much room as possible. I didn't see anything about Betta conditioner, so if you don't have any, get some specifically for Betta.

Again, you seem to be doing really good, and I bet your betta is happy and healthy. I love the tank setup :3
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:54 AM   #4 
Melbell

Thanks! I should have added that there is a lid, and I add the water that my fish is in to the tank, so it gets pretty close to the top. I also should have added that I use conditoiner.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:28 AM   #5 
Lordsameth

Then you are doing just wonderful! YAY!
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:09 AM   #6 
sjones

The only thing I'd change is to take out the small plastic plants which are not betta fin friendly and replace with some nice silk (or live plants) that he can lounge on as well-he'll love you for it.
With a filter going and since you are testing for ammonia your twice a week waterchanges are probably enough.
I'd get a turkey baster to take out his poo and uneaten food in between, this will cut down on the ammonia produced.
A floating plant like hornwort or duckweed would be easy to care for and would eat up some of the ammonia as well, i have htem free floating in my 1.5 gallon critter keepers.
Just make sure to get a thermometer and that the water is the same temperature when you do the water changes or else the fish could go into shock or worse. And always use a water conditioner to take out chlorine, etc.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #7 
Melbell

Okay! I'll get a turkey baster and some silk plants right away! I feel a little apprehensive about getting a live plant though... How much care do they need? And what do you do with the plant when you clean the tank? And I've also read about little worms on live plants, so is there any way to get rid of those? Hahaha. I know those are all newbie questions ...