Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #1 
HayrideHaunter

broke college student looking for some help

hey guys! I'm looking to give my Marbles a nicer home. He's currently in a 1gal, and I do my best to keep him happy as a clam there, and he seems to be, but its just so cramped! I want to upgrade him to a 2.5 gallon.

Unfortunately I don't have much money so I'm looking to spend no more than $40. Ive been looking at petco because its the closest to my college, and these are my options. I just wanted a couple of opinions on which would be better for my boy pleeease?

heres the options...I can either get a whole set, and I was looking at this one:
http://www.petco.com/product/113978/...t=OnSiteSearch

or I'll get a $12 2.5gal generic regtangular tank, and a filter. The filter I plan on getting I'm alright with already, as I had one a while back that just got used to death. It's pretty reliable so I'm good with that...I guess I'm more looking for reviews on the link above?

Thank you!!!

H2
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #2 
c4talys7

I think the one in the link looks great! If you're looking to spend a little less money, many people use the Kritter Keepers. They come in many sizes and people have been able to make them look amazing. And they're pretty cheap :)

I'm a college student also and some how managed to find a good kit that was cheaper than I expected. But I would totally recommend a 2.5gal kritter keeper or that link seems like a really great deal.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #3 
HayrideHaunter

thanks c4talys7...I'm also wondering if anyone here has actually owned it? I'd like to know if it does appear to have a good deal of swimming room.

I looked at kritter keepers but I'm not a fan of the aesthetic aspect of it. I know beggars can't be choosers but those would honestly be my last resort. Thanks though =)
Old 01-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #4 
puppyrjjkm

I prefer the 2.5 rectangular myself since it seems to provide more swimming room. You wouldn't have to buy a hood, just leave the water level low enough so he couldn't jump out. And use a desk lamp for lighting. Don't forget a heater if you don't already have one :) Good luck with your new tank!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #5 
HayrideHaunter

thanks for the input puppyrjjkm!
Old 01-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #6 
Luimeril

i keep most of mine in 2.5 Kritter Keepers. for Cup, i took the lid off, and am using a divider as a lid. xD the one i use is only $10, at that. xD
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #7 
HayrideHaunter

luimeril: that sounds great, but I also have to factor in a filter because I can't do too many water changes due to...well...college. Good price for the keeper though!
Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #8 
Luimeril

i'm sure you can ghetto-rig a filter onto the side, especally if you don't use the lid it comes with. you could use the mesh people use for dividers as a lid, instead. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #9 
HayrideHaunter

true true...thanks for the input =)
Old 01-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

OR - you can go to fish.com & get a 5 gal. kit for $14.99 (plus shipping, of course):

http://www.fish.com/item/aquatic-edg...-5-gal/701002/

Comes with everything except the gravel & heater. Heck, it even comes with the background!!! The only color they have left, though, is the blue.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote