Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #1 
jschristian44

Can't Wait...So Impatient

I am going to be getting my female betta this coming week probably around wednesday or so. My male is in his tank and he thinks he owns that tank. But not for long. I'm gonna place my female in there and I think he is going to go crazy over her. I've got frogbit, amazon swords, pvc tubing, half styrafoam cups, dual sponge filter, heater, indian almond leaf, and a glass vase for the female. I can't wait until I get babies. Anyways, here are some pics of the male and female. Plus my tank setup! Wish me luck, this is my first time spawning!

jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #2 
Abby

not to sound mean but have you thought this through?
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #3 
jschristian44

yes, what do you mean? ive been researching a month now and i feel im ready. i waited until next week to get my female just to make sure i got all the research done and the tank fully set up. what do you think is wrong that you said that, or did you just say that because you thought i just jumped into this yesterday?
Old 01-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #4 
monroe0704

What are you goals with this pair?
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #5 
jschristian44

my goals is

1.first time spawning
2.i think it will be very fun to watch and educational
3.i want to put them in my other bowls, the females that is
4.i want to make some money from selling the offspring (i know it wont be much)
5.as long as i break even from all the stuff i bought, or come even half of breaking even i will be happy
6.and i will try to keep the most fry alive, i know its my first time, but i hope to have at least 40-50 fry alive and well.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your breeding tank looks pretty good to me. What foods are you going to feed the fry? Good luck with everything.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #7 
turtle10

Honestly, one month of research isn't a lot. Breeding bettas takes a lot of time, money, and commitment. A few concerns are:

Do you have a place to put 40+ bettas?
What if they don't sell? Would you keep them?
If there are deformities, would you be willing to cull?

Also, keep in mind that spawning is very stressful for both bettas, and the first week in her new home is really not the best time for a female to spawn.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #8 
JKfish

It sounds like your tank set up is decent, though I hope you know it's probably a good idea to wait a few weeks after you recieve the female before you start the 2 week conditioning of the pair. The reason why you might want to wait is because it is a good idea to be sure your female is healthy before you begin even the conditioning process.

If you expect to break even with everything, sorry to disappoint, but it is possible you won't. you're breeding a vt to a ct, which'll create combtails. combtails IMO look like vts with tail bitting issues, so you can't expect much for the fry, and it's possible you won't even get 40-50 fry... there are a lot of breeders out there who end up having to give away even quality fry or selling them for a fraction of the parent's price, so even if you got like 20 fry and managed to sell all of them, it's possible you'd only be able to sell them for about 2 or 3 dollars most.

However, apart from that, yes it'll probably be an awesome experience for you and rather fun as you go about it. Best of luck with your spawn :)

Last edited by JKfish; 01-29-2011 at 11:08 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #9 
jschristian44

yeah thanks for the posts, i figured i wouldnt get close to what i paid, but it really wasnt that much and i paid it just for the learning experience. what would be the best breed to mix with a veiltale? another veiltale? i see some bettas on aquabid for like 14 plus 15 shipping and they sell, but i am sure those people know what theyre doing a bit better i dont know. as for the fry food, im gonna feed them infusia the first week, then put my baby brine shrimp auto hatcher in there, and then use freeze dried bloodworms and crushed betta pellets. ive researched it all, dont worry.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Well, we have plenty of good breeders here who can give you some good advice if you need it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote