Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #21 
jschristian44

yeah aquabid has a bunch of those for sale for pretty cheap, i just thought i was fine with baby brine shrimp. and yes i saw that thread on the feeding. this is what MrVampire posted on that thread:

I've fed BBS the entire time. Never had a problem.

so yeah, i think i got my plan all good and down, thanks for the help though!

Last edited by jschristian44; 01-30-2011 at 11:41 AM.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #22 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Most first time experiences wouldn't be too successful. So don't get your hopes too high on breaking even specially when breeding VT and even worse VT x CT (not favored). You should try breeding at least one tail type.

Infusoria, IMO, only works well in a natural setting. Clean bare tank new water might not do that well. So you should consider adding other first food such as egg yolk, BBS, etc in the first week.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #23 
jschristian44

thank you indjo. yes i figured i wouldn't be too successful being my first time. just like with anything else, practice makes perfect. i can't imagine this being as hard as playing guitar is it? ive been playing on and off for like 7 years now and im still horrible. but recently i began practicing like every other day for like 5 hours and i seem to be getting much much better. thank you! what male do you guys suggest i use to breed with her? another crowntail?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #24 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If your set on breeding your CT female, I'd say get another CT male. I would not suggest mixing CT to anything (specially the first time) because you have to know what to look for/how to select for the following generation. VT can actually be mixed with HM. But as a first attempt I'd suggest that you stick to one tail type. Later, when more experienced, you can try mixing them. ..... by that time, you would probably not want to mix.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #25 
jschristian44

its hard to find a veiltail female...
Old 01-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #26 
JKfish

Call your LFS and see when their next shipment of betta fish is. I know petco and petsmart both have vt girls, so if you get there the day the shipment comes in you might find a youngish probably more healthy girl who would compliment the coloration of your male, and you'd also have more girls to chose from.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #27 
jschristian44

ah, i already ordered from this guy and was on his butt forever, i owe it to him to get this female. he was even kind enough to change my crowntail to a halfmoon female. hes a very nice guy, his name is elmo8081 or something like that on aquabid, he has very nice looking fish.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #28 
Dragonlady

Breeding and raising bettas certainly requires patience. If you don't have patience, you develop it quickly or quit the hobby.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #29 
jschristian44

yes i am developing patience, trust me. its the hardest hting for me to do, but i am getting there. having to condition the female is gonna be the hardest part. its gonna take the last of my energy to not put her in her vase to let the male see her....grr!