Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #11 
Crazykat

But the larger they are, the sooner they die! Lol, it's a catch twenty-two! My reasoning when I got them was that if my betta tried to eat them at least he wouldn't choke to death. It seems harsh, but there you go. My guess is it depends on your betta. I've got little ones in with my boy and the only time they even notice each other is during feeding time when the shrimp come up to the top to try to steal the betta's food.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #12 
shinybetta

It is fun to watch small ones grow up as well
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #13 
fishman12

So which is better: pellets or algae wafers?
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #14 
shinybetta

Pellets! Ghost shrimp are primarily carnivorous. Algea makes up only a small part of their diet.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #15 
Sweeda88

Do I HAVE to have live plants to keep them? I want to put some in my 3 gallon because Glitter spits out a lot of his food, and they would love that. I've heard conflicting things about whether or not they need live plants.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #16 
fishman12

Also, do they need a bubler? I do have 3 live plants. Will they eat dead parts of a live plant?
Old 02-21-2011, 01:44 AM   #17 
Crazykat

They don't need live plants or a bubbler. I've never seen mine eat plants. Maybe if they were starving to death? They're really more carnivorous than anything. Just pinch off the dead parts of your plants. It's easier. :)
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:21 AM   #18 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
Ok. Can they climb up the side of the tank? And do they eat the fish's feces?
Yes they climb up the glass. Some of mine even try to hang upside down to get food on the surface during feeding time.

You don't have to worry bout them climbing out of the tank. Their legs are so skinny and cannot support their body mass outside of water. Noticed this right away when a ghost shrimp jumped out of the net of a petsmart employee. He was just a crumpled mess and couldn't move. Once the employee plopped him back in the tank he was fine again.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:24 AM   #19 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykat View Post
But the larger they are, the sooner they die! Lol, it's a catch twenty-two! My reasoning when I got them was that if my betta tried to eat them at least he wouldn't choke to death. It seems harsh, but there you go. My guess is it depends on your betta. I've got little ones in with my boy and the only time they even notice each other is during feeding time when the shrimp come up to the top to try to steal the betta's food.
Correct. I read a ghost shrimp article stating these creatures only have a lifespan of 1.5 years average so get the smallest ones if you plan on keeping them awhile.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #20 
fishman12

This sounds really mean!!!! I think 1.5 years is just about perfect cuz I'm moving (across the country) in about 1.5 years... Like I said, really mean