Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #1 
baylee767

Question head twitching?

I don't uderstand it. Neon never used to do it before... but anyways, heres what happend. I was using the gravel vac and I looked away for one second to make sure my dog wasn't getting into anything... I look back and poor Neon had his tail stuck in the vac. Luckily he wasn't injured, but his dorsal looks a bit funny to me... I include this because I don't know if it has anything to do with the problem.

As I added water Neon's head started twitching and shaking like crazy. I became worried, but he stopped. I noticed that every once in awhile sometimes while I watched him his head would give a little twitch.

That was yesterday. I told myself nothing had happened, then this morning he started swimming up to the surface and his head twitched, so I decided that something's wrong. But what is the problem exactly?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

It sounds like he's flashing to me which is indicative of parasites on his gills. Not sure why it would start all the sudden though. I doubt it has anything to do with getting sucked into the siphon though.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #3 
baylee767

I thought of that... but he isn't rubbing against anything (I haven't seen it at least) And he doesn't shake his head a lot now, it's just an occasional twitch. Do you think it's still possible that it's gill parasites? Or maybe he injured his head somehow? I don't see anything on him...
Old 01-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #4 
FishyFriend1

check his gills by making him flare for a few seconds. you may not be able to see the parasites but if he is healthy his gills should be a bright red
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #5 
Betta Slave

Just because a fish has parasites doesn't mean he should be rubbing against anything- flashing is just good enough, if the number of parasites is low and isn't irritating him too much. Also, fish who have parasites don't always shake their heads... it can be occasional. (And I would know, you don't know how many parasites I've had to treat )

I agree with 1f2f- sounds like parasites.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

Blush did that right before she started showing ick spots. I'd start him on a salt treatment ASAP.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #7 
baylee767

Or maracyn... I'll start a thread in the fish disease and emergency section over dosage.

Last edited by baylee767; 01-30-2011 at 07:11 PM.