Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #1 
appledust

Question In Case of Power Outage

Hey everyone! My city (St. Louis, MO) is expecting a severe winter storm to move into the area pretty soon. A winter weather warning has been issued from 6 AM on Monday, to noon on Wednesday, with sleet and ice and snow, and possible loss of electricity. I’m concerned about a power outage – have any of you had to deal with this before? What did you do?

If my family loses electricity, I’m really hoping that I’ll have a friend who has power, and that I can just bring everything over to their house for a short time, lol. But in case that doesn’t happen…

I have all the cups that my fish came in, as well as larger Tupperware containers that I could use instead, and we have a fireplace in the basement. Would it be sufficient to keep all my fish in cups downstairs by the fire with me? My family and I would be down there too (as well as our snakes, tortoises, hermit crabs and cats), so I would be able to monitor their water temperature for the most part...

I also have live plants. I was thinking I could put those in a bucket of water and bring them downstairs by the fire or to a friend’s with me. And what about the beneficial bacteria living in all my filter media? I definitely wouldn’t want those to die.

We don’t really get much snow, so people always freak out whenever we’re forecast for it… I’m not really expecting the worst, and it’s unusual for my house to lose power during storms, but I want to be prepared, just in case. :) After all, in 2006 we lost power for three days during a winter storm and our house got into the low 40s or lower. I didn't have fish then, but the possibility of the same event happening again is quite worrisome now!
appledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:47 AM   #2 
Titus Flame

(I would delete this post, but I can't find the delete icon)

Last edited by Titus Flame; 01-31-2011 at 05:50 AM.
Titus Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:03 AM   #3 
appledust

Uh, what?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:09 AM   #4 
Titus Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledust View Post
Uh, what?
I had posted something, but I saw something in your post that made me want to delete my post. But, I don't know where the icon is to delete your post, so I wrote that to tell you.
Titus Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #5 
LolaQuigs

I am worried about this too! As long as you are there to keep an eye on temperature, I think keeping the fish near the fire is a good idea, I may have to do the same. I don't know what other option there is with no heat in the house, other than maybe using heat packs?
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #6 
appledust

Titus: OH. XD Sorry. I get it now.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #7 
appledust

And yeah! I hope everything turns out okay for us. Blargh. I don't think there's anywhere I could get a heat pack locally. There's not much to do. I wanted to post and see what other people's experiences with outages have been; never know. I'm really just hoping that if I lose power for a while, I have a friend who still has it XD
Old 01-31-2011, 08:18 AM   #8 
LolaQuigs

Every time there is a power outage in the area, my power always seems to go out. Remember those huge outages a few summers ago? We lost power for a week! We haven't had a lengthy outage since I've had fish though, so I'm a little nervous about that. Especially because I'm treating my betta for ich, so warm water is really important. Hopefully it won't be as bad as people are saying it will be!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #9 
appledust

Yeah! I do remember that. We actually didn't lose electricity that time, luckily. It was weird cuz the houses across the street were out and everything, haha. Hopefully you and I won't lose power if this turns out to be a snowpocalypse...
Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 AM   #10 
JKfish

If your house looses power for a few hours, don't worry about your cycle. Simply take your sponge/filter media out and have it in a tubberware or something full of tank water. I'm pretty sure it'll be alright for about a day, but if your worried about it, you could swish your hands in the water around the filter media to create movement/ airation to be sure the bacteria is well oxygenated.

Your idea for the live plants and fish is definately good. I'd put them in large-ish tubberwares rather than the cups so that the water temps won't fluctuate too badly.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote