Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #21 
HayrideHaunter

gahhhh its awesome XD...mooore =D
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #22 
fishman12

More!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #23 
baylee767

AFTER WRITING: Whew. Is it just me or am I getting a bit carried away? XD

Part 6: Alone

Eventually to water level rose to its normal height. I looked back at my naming ceremony with awe.

Long fin had jumped into the air and shouted "Come meet here under peace for a naming ceremony!" Somehow it projected his voice and it sounded louder, and soon some Bettas gathered around, peacful for the occasion. They still cautiously flared at eachother, but they were peaceful. Longfin started talking, droning on and on about how I had learned to live like I should, and he concluded his speech by saying, "Now we shall all jump to tell the moon of her new warrior!" For the first time I jumped, and time seemed to slow down. Dozens of Bettas surounded me and waterdroplets flew everywhere. "Moontail!" Everyone had called. Then after that the fightng began and everyone dispersed.

I shivered at how I had some how not even felt the urge to attack. It's like the wild is changing my personality. I thought, because wild Bettas weren't that aggressive.

One thing that was really irritating was having to constantly trim my tail. "How come my tail is so biiig?" I complaing to Longfin one morning.

"How am I supposed to know? Moontail, don't complain. At least you are here instead of that cylinder thing you were talking about." He stared at a bubble and bit it thoughtfully. "I think we should explore the rice paddy." He said. "Come."

I followed him as we barrelled through plants and caves. We didn't see any bubblenests, so we stopped paying attention. I wish we had.

They came on us out of nowhere, flaring their fins, their eyes glinting. Three males seemed throughoutly angered, I couldn't tell why. Then I saw. There was a bright white shape, I knew who it was. It was my sister. I felt myself flare up at the thought of 3 unknown males fighting over her.

"Hey, this is our female! I'll kill you for her!" One shouted. The three gave eachother a look that seemed to mean "We will begin fighting after these two are out of the picture". Me and longfin flared up and prepared ourselves.

One of the males charged at me with the speed that every wild Betta posses. I became distracted in fighting him, relentlessly nipping his scales. This male was a bit slow to me, so I knew exactly which move would send him swimming. The same move that was once performed on me by one of his kin.

I made to bite him on the tail and he twisted so that his head was facing me. I bit his lip and flipped, I was powerful enough to restrain him after training this move with Longfin. I kicked my tail and thrashed my pectorals in hope of staying upright, but his weight made us drift on our sides to the bottom. I held on tightly, suddenly feeling desperate for air. I had to release him.

The male jerked and swam away as fast as he could. I said, "Ha! You better watch out for me next time!" And I turned to face the other enemies.

I froze. They were doing a tactic. Both males were bigger than Longfin. One would grab his dorsal fin and drag him almost to the bottom while the other breathed. Then the other male would come and switch places. They got air, and Longfin uselessly struggled and I could tell he really needed to breath. Longfins struggles were slowing, and I knew it was too late.

"NOO!" I shouted, rushing at the males with all of my speed. "You aren't supposed to let the fighty go this far!" I screeched. The males turned to face me, grinning like minnows. I rushed at them with far more strength then they expected, my anger speeding me up. I crashed into the side of one like a train and barrelled him a full 6 inches, his scales damaged. The male turned away and I grabbed his tail and shook my head as hard as I could. The other male fleed in terror, but I was a demon. I gave that fish bad wounds before he got away, and I suspect they eventually got infected and killed him.

I swam to Longfin. He may have been another male Betta, but he was more dear to me than anything. Even more dear than my sister, who had sswam off. I nudged Longfins body under a rock as if I was trying to give him shelter even though I knew he was already dead. Eventually stopped, and with a last glance, left Longfin forever.

"Don't worry Longfin. Our enemies will tremble with terror when they see my might. Your work has saved me."
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #24 
turtle10

Nooo longfin!! So sad but so so good.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #25 
Dontpanic

Love it! But let me guess, you read Warriors? ;D
Dontpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #26 
baylee767

Wow? How did you guess (sarcastic)? Lol. yep hehe (=
Old 02-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #27 
BeCkS

this is amazing!!
BeCkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #28 
fishman12

Love it, but poor Longfin!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #29 
baylee767

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!

Part 7: Feeders

I managed fine without Longfin. Because he was older, I actually moved faster. But it still was harder looking out for territories.

He had once told me to find a territory and settle down because nomads usually didn't get far. But I couldn't find anywhere suited to me. I really did try, but there was either no prey, or it was to shallow, or there wasn't enough hiding places.

One day, soon after the end of the drought, I saw something. Giant feet and legs sticking in the water. I looked up and saw the form of a feeder! I started to sprint away, but I knew it had seen me. I heard a loud noise, like a long vibrating shout. The feeder tried to grab me and I dodged its hand and swam away.

__________________________________________________ ______________

It was a few days later. I hid because a pair was nearby, chatting. I wanted to listen for the news.

"There are so many catchers with grabbers." The male shivered. The pair nipped at a feeder print, and I realized that catchers were feeders. But what's a grabber? I wondered. Then the female started talking.

"My old mate, he talked of the grabber. He said it encircled him. Then there were threads everywhere, like those things insects leave over the water sometimes. He was completely helpless, there were no openings and it was too high to jump. The grabber brought him into air. He managed to escape when the catcher fell. Ever since then I've been terrified of grabbers. With more catchers and grabbers on the loose... it's the end of the world!" She said.

The pair swam to some other place. Maybe the feeders are here because of me. I do stick out... but why would they go after me so much? I thought and thought but couldn't think of an answer. I led feeders and their nets to the rice paddy, and in doing so destroying other Bettas homes!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #30 
turtle10

Omg I want to know what is going to happen.. was it his fault? Poor Moontail :/
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote