Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Art
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #41 
baylee767

After I wrote this... jeez I'm REALLY going over board...

Part 10: Attack

Now is the time to execute my plan.

For a few hours I flared with nervous excitment as hundreds of Bettas started swarming in. Soon there was nearly 300 Bettas.

When they were all talking and the sound of it was deafening, I Flared and called, "Welcome! Today we'll drive these catchers away before they destroy us all!" The sun was just rising, and the feeders would soon be out. All the Bettas cheered, a sound loud enough to alert the bugs over the water.

I flared again for silence, and once again repeated my plan for the new Bettas. They started getting excited, too. After that we waited in hiding until the catchers were out.

Once the rice paddy was getting crouded from them, I signaled it was time to do the plan. We all moved through the water, swimming to a open spot. One last time I repeated the plan, again. "Now, remember. We will all jump together and the catchers will come. Then we jump around them, so they panic. Then we bite them and chase them and bat them away!" They Bettas nodded their heads, while I was ready to burst with anxiety and excitment.

I braced myself, and motioned with my tail. As one Betta we leaped into the air, what a fantastic sight it was. We jumped higher than I ever had, going nearly a foot into the air. I assumed it was due to all of our extra energy. This was more than just getting food, we were defending our homes and our lives.

Time seemed to go slowely as once again, I began falling through air. Suddenly memories were upon me. Living life in a dirty cylinder, watching all of my siblings die one by one, being forced into the rice paddy when I wanted to remain in the cylinders, meeting longfin, the drought, defeating my enemies and avenging his death, attracting all of these catchers, and now this.

We hit the water with a splash, and didn't have to wait long. Soon catchers started to show up, holding... grabbers. We surrounded them and began leaping around them to confuse them. They were too slow to catch us in the air. As a mass, we were the size of a catcher. We swarmed around them in the water and attacked. They had creepy smooth skin instead of scales, and were more vulnerable than I thought. I nipped one and smashed my head into it. There were around 50 Bettas attacking each feeder.

At first the catcher seemed to regard us as pests, as if it could barely feel us. But as our attacks grew more and more brutal, it stuck its clumbsy hand in the water, which we easily avoided. Then after it couldn't get us, it shouted with frustration and started running towards the land. We chased it and kept on attacking until it was out of reach. Most of the catchers had been chased away, except one.

It was just catching Bettas to keep them away. "No!" I said. I rushed at it and leaped into the air. It seemed shocked and delighted to be faced with the white Betta that it had been searching for. But I wasn't going to give it the pleasure of catching me.

I found a spot on it that I could bite onto when I was falling and I quickly grabbed it and was hanging above the rice paddy. The other Bettas mimicked me and we all grabbed onto this catcher. Soon its legs were covered with Bettas.

It shrieked and ran away, and we dropped off. We all stared silently at eachother for a moment, before shouting a deafening cheer. That copper female slided through the water towards him, and all the Bettas gave her room because she held a certain air of authority. "Good job, moontail." She said. Then she whispered, "Meet me at the center tonight." Before swimming away. The Bettas around me started cheering "Moontail! Moontail!"

My plan had worked! But would it really keep the catchers away?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #42 
gregoryk

Never thought I'd say that but man, these are some rabid bettas!
But I guess that's what the wild does to you... You cut your fins short, learn to fight dirty, and eventually you get feeders telling stories of your legendary adventures!
Great story baylee767 can't wait for the next installment!
gregoryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #43 
bettafish15

Wah~ So good! Cant wait for the next chapter :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #44 
bettamaniac

If only they could learn to work together and not rip each other apart if they see another. If only.
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #45 
BettasAreBomb

OMG!!!!!Baylee767 you have a briliant talent this is one of the best short stories i have ever read! I hope u use this talent in the future. =D
BettasAreBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #46 
BettasAreBomb

Ahhhh r u gona finish this or is it done =( i hope not i wana know if it works out with the catchers (and with the copper bellied betta)!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #47 
baylee767

It's not done yet...

Also, I LOL'd at your comment gregoryk! ROFL. Thanks for the comments everyone! Updates tommorrow.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #48 
BettasAreBomb

you said updates tomarow three days ago im pumped to hear the rest!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #49 
gregoryk

Heh, you know people can be unexpectedly busy with "real life"...
Or maybe baylee767 was contacted by some publisher with an offer to publish this story
you never know :-p
patience!
gregoryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #50 
baylee767

Sorry! Computer acted wierd again (BLAH-cheap thing) and I had soccer yesterday and was too drained to think of a story. Sorry that I kept you all in such suspense. But now...

Part 11: Goldheart

A copper form was sliding through the water in the night. "Hello, erm...-" I said, unsure what to call her. "Call me Goldheart", She said. I flared and said, "Hello Goldheart." But I was baffled at her name. She was copper, and you certainly couldn't see a Bettas heart!

"I just wanted to congradulate you again, this time for your victory." Goldheart told me. There was a glow in her eyes, and she said, "Ah. You're probably wondering where I come from and such, yes?"

I nodded. She seemed to talk a bit funny, with a wierd accent. "Well, I wasn't planning on telling you this... But I'm not from the rice paddy. Did you not notice my color seemed oddly bright? Yes, my mother was a tame Betta, but my father was wild. I picked up most of his body shape and my mothers scales. I was born many, many miles away from here. I've been through more than you could imagine, and that was just as a fry." She looked up at the moon. "You led me." She muttered at it.

I felt akward floating there while she talked to the moon. After hearing what Goldheart said, I picked up that a tame Betta was a Betta who lived with catchers, kind of like me. Goldheart... I shivered. She was stranger then ever before to me, yet somehow closer.

"Anyways, I'm not important." She stared me straight in the eye, a look of... longing on her face? "What's important is that the catchers haven't come back yet, so for now we're safe. I'll return when I can sense that they will not come anymore." And she was gone.

So I'm not alone! I felt a strange yearning to follow Goldheart, see how much she was like me, if she ate the same, moved the same... it was an obsession just barely between the brink of thought and action. Then the moment was gone, and I was normal again.

That was creepy... what happened?