Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #1 
alidawn15

newbie 10 gal upgrade

Dobby is in a .5 gal generic fish tank from a hermit crab. There's barely any gravel in it, but it was just to make sure I could keep the little guy alive. All we have so far to go in a tank are 6 mini plastic plants from petsmart.

Since I'm an hour and a half from petsmart on a good day I've requested a trip there as what I want for my birthday. I have a brand new 10 gal thats only been out of the box to make sure it wasn't damaged. All I currently use is a betta water conditioner. I know I would like to add a mystery snail and a few ghost shrimp to the tank as well as a few live plants. I'd like to get and otocinclus at some point perferrably now but if it's not safe to do it now I won't risk my cute little fish friend. Ideally I would like to avoid needing a filter and plan on filling the tank and tracking the temperature for a few days before adding Dobby to make sure it isn't too cold. If I need a heater then its no biggie and I'll get one. I know I'll need something like a sinking pellet for the snail and shrimp and a lot more gravel. I probably won't be going to petsmart until march though so I'd like to make some short of checklist to take with me. Help? Can anyone recommend a colorful fish to add some interest that doesn't have to be in a school?
alidawn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #2 
danifacetastic

When I got my ten gallon tank upgrade this was my checklist:

*Tank
*Hood with lightbulbs
*Filter
*More gravel
*More plants
*Ammonia Meter
*Divider (I have 3 bettas in one tank)

Stuff I already had was:
*Water Conditioner
*Food
*Heater
*Thermometer

And I've heard bettas can mix with guppies...
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #3 
bettafish15

Bettas can only mix with non-fancy guppies, and keep in mind each betta is different, so he may not tolerate tankmates of any kind.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #4 
ansalong

So glad to find this thread! I was going to post it myself.
We have been plotting a 10 gal tank to replace the 1 gal I have my betta in now. Today a coworker who is moving had to get rid of his 10gal and I snatched it!
It will still need some cleaning and setup, and I wanted some advice about it.
Primarily, should I cycle the tank before moving my betta in, or cycle it with him in it, and what's the safest way to do that?
Second, what kind of water change routine do you have with a 10gal?
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #5 
alidawn15

I really wanted neon tetra but I've since read that they can be difficult. My goldfish thumb is very brown too...
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #6 
danifacetastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansalong View Post
So glad to find this thread! I was going to post it myself.
Primarily, should I cycle the tank before moving my betta in, or cycle it with him in it, and what's the safest way to do that?
Second, what kind of water change routine do you have with a 10gal?
I didn't cycle my tank at all...I have a 10 gal divided 3 ways. Also I change 50% of my water once a week and vacumn the gravel.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #7 
JaspersANGEL

U forgot the most important in my opinion:
- a cave
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #8 
alidawn15

If i take a broken terra cotta pot and try to make a cave out of it i don't need to do anything but clean it and and the edges right?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #9 
ansalong

Do the pantyhose test after you sand the edges to make sure they will not tear your betta's fins. And if there is a little hole in the bottom of the pot find some way to plug it safely or don't use it...there are horror stories on this site of people's Bettas trying to swim through the hole and getting stuck.
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #10 
Kestrel

I've heard ottos work, but some quick inernet research could probably answer that question. Cories are very cute too, but they are schooling. I have 4 fancy guppies in my tank right now and my betta only ever chases or bothers them when they get too close. I think you can keep a singular guppy, he may feel safer in a group though, I'm not sure. It all depends on the betta too. Platys are fairly colorful and can be kept with betta and I don't think they school. There are probably other people on here that can give better advice on compatibility though, and don't take anything I say as final, do some further research yourself on suggested tankmates.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote