Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 AM   #1 
effy

introduction techniques?

Hey peeps.
Was just wondering what is your favourite ways to introduce the females and males? There are so many ways and this is in my opinion the scariest part of breeding.
Also, what signs do you use to decide how well it is going?

I am attempting my second spawn this week, and as my first spawn was so quick to happen and went so perfect, I am sure my next one wont be as lucky and I want to make sure I donít miss any signs that might lead to damage to either of the fish.

My main things I am planning to look for before introduction are
  • Male has produced an adequate bubble nest, and is going between the jarred female and the nest, and isnít tired or stressed
  • Female is interested in male, and trying to get at him through the jar
  • Canít look for vertical breeding stripes as she is Cambodian

The things I am looking for once introduced are
  • Male and female chasing, but not damaging each other
  • Male returning to nest (if he stops doing that, I get worried! should I?)
  • Female stress levels (if she starts clamping her fins and breathing heavily, I will probably remove her)
I donít plan to leave them in together without a spawn any longer than 24 hours. Unless someone convinces me it is safe to do so :)

Just so quash any worries, I am fully prepared, researched, have all food ready blabla and I have a good set up for sure.
I just want to be extra sure that I wont miss any signals that mean I should abort. I am a worrier!

Thanks,

Effy
effy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

It is 100% safe to leave them together over 24 hours. For the most part I don't even moniter my pairs...I just release the female and then walk out of the room.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:50 AM   #3 
effy

I would be too worried to just leave them be! They are very special ones and I would be distraught if anything bad happened. I am planning on releasing the female later tonight if she is displaying all the right signs. The male is super fast so hoping he doesnt beat her up too much...
Old 01-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

As long as you have the spawning tank setup so that the female can get out of the males site to rest...then they are usually safe to be left together for longer than 24h...you kinda have to use your own judgment with this.....some breeders both male and female are more aggressive than others...it is best to be able to watch them for the first couple of hours when you first introduce them

I do the shock method of introduction and usually get spawning within an hour or so.....however, I have had some take longer-I set my spawning tank up in heavy planted with soil substrate and full to the top with water...the plants are the divider or separator....this prevents premature egg drops, gives plenty of cover for the female....when the female is ready to spawn she will go to the male

In a standard half full 10g tank bare bottom-I would use some type of container to separate the breeders and release her once she is showing interest or trying to follow the male when he approaches her flirting, swimming in the S pattern and trying to lure her back to the nest...sometimes you can tell if she is head down and the vent is protruding more...release her and she should follow the male to the nest and sometimes he will attack, she will run and then return to the nest...they may do this several times before they spawn...this is normal pre-spawning behavior and usually the female will not have any injuries and if she does it will be minor-expected and normal...this can vary with each pair......

Keep the breeders separated and feed massive amount of live or frozen foods several times a day, make daily water changes and get them ready, extend the photo period to 12h-keep them in 76F water with the spawning tank at 80F...

Remember-it is normal for them to chase and nip and sometimes they may have some damage...this is normal especially with first time breeders...try to give them space and not disturb them...keep your hand out of the tank and don't try to help......but do watch.....the spawning act is an awesome act to witness.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #5 
effy

thanks OFL. I released her half an hour ago, she and he were showing all the right signs that you mentioned above. All is going well :) they were conditioned prior and are in tip top shape
Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Awesome......good luck....look forward to hearing more about this successful spawn....think positive.....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #7 
weluvbettas

I just normally just provide loads of hiding spots so she can relax from all the chasing.

Btw Can i have pics of the parents? Would love to see them. Wouldent mind buying one of your babies or two haha :D
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #8 
effy

of course you can have dibs wlb! :) they are Thai imports. I love them loads! I will upload shortly once I can get a snap of the female. And I am for sure thinking positive haha fingers crossed! I have another pair of bettas lined up if needed though. I am definitely getting a spawn this month!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck, Effy!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #10 
effy

thanks dq, your luck and OFLs positive thoughts combined to produce a spawn at 13:30 uk time :D these are going to be some pretty babies! photos to come, and maybe even a video :)