Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #1 
Sara07013

Unhappy New Betta still won't eat!

I brought home my new betta 3 days ago and since then he has only eaten once which was the first night home. Whenever I get near the tank he swims away and hides and I don't think he see's I'm trying to feed him. I know he's gotta be hungry! I even tried giving him bloodworms and he still doesn't seem interested. Everything with the tank is fine and he looks healthy! I just don't know how to get him to eat! Any help will be appreciated!
Sara07013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #2 
monroe0704

Sometimes they just need time to adjust and settle down... A healthy betta can go weeks without food, although I wouldn't want him to do that!

Keep trying with a few different foods and I wish you luck!
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #3 
DragonFish

Don't worry too much, new betta's tend to not eat a whole lot, if at all, when first brought home. This can last anywhere from a few days, to a couple of weeks depending on the betta. Just keep offering him food and scooping out what he doesn't eat and so long as hes in an antiquity-sized(2+gallons)heated tank with regular water changes he'll come around and start eating once hes nice and settled in to his new home and routine.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #4 
Pekemom

How's he doing, Sara?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #5 
Sara07013

Thank you!! I just hope he opens up to me! I feel bad when he swims awayy and it's killing me even more knowing he's hungry and I can't get him to eat! I was also wondering if I should try to find a lamp for him because the light on my hood is broken. Is it necessary to have a light on for him?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #6 
Missy2280

One of mine did the same thing. I would feed him and he acted like he wasnt even interested. He swam away and hid from me all the time. I actually saw him eat pellets for the first time yesterday! I was so happy:) I had had him a couple weeks and was getting worried. He seems to not be so scared all the time either. I think he is finally getting settled in. Give him time, Im sure he will be ok:)
Missy2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #7 
Pekemom

I don't think the light is necessary at all- but one of the betta experts will respond. My new betta acclimated well & has an outgoing personality. I do get real nervous when she's hiding & I can't see her! Her predecessor didn't make it, so I'm scared to lose her before she settles in!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:48 PM   #8 
DragonFish

No, not necessarily. The light on a tank is really more for our sake....bettas are dark-water fish, so the natural light from the room or some indirect sunlight is just fine for them.

Again, I wouldn't worry too much....three days isn't that long. If hes hungry, he'll eat. ;)
Though if hes the skittish type, maybe feed him and then walk away for a bit, leave him alone and come back later to see if hes eaten, being careful not to make any sudden movements. It'll take him a little while too get used to you, but eventually he'll realize your the one feeding him xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 PM   #9 
Sara07013

Thank you all for the replies! I tend to worry a lot because I just lost my previous betta and I don't want to see this one go! I absolutely loved my first betta. He is the one in my picture! He had a great personality and would come right up in front of the tank and want attention all the time! I hope to have the same relationship with my new little guy! They are great fish!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #10 
Sparrow11

glad to read this post....same worry about my new betta

I just got a new betta & he hasn't eaten yet either, its been 3 days. I have been worried! He has also been a little lethargic....is that a part of being in a new tank? The water is okay since I added fresh, treated water to what was already in the tank, long story....I may just do a water change today to see if that helps, I really want him to be healthy!
Sparrow11 is offline   Reply With Quote