Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #1 
PewPewPew

Unhappy How long to QT?

I noticed (or think I noticed x_x) Maccies' scales were a little raised last night (I have a thread with pics, which Ill update as time goes by), so I cupped him and bobbed him to protect his tankmate, Alle.

I felt bad for him, and he was stressin' in that little cup hardcore, so I put him in my (half??) gallon Kritter Keeper with my very not really working like it should heater from Tetra, which is keeping it stable. (Hint that its too weak for the 2-15gal range )-__-

My question is, how long should I QT him, assuming his scales do not get more raised or he becomes visably ill? I dont want to any longer than needed, because its a difficult little set up to do :c

Thanks in advance <3

(PS, no, I cant bob the keeper in the big tank)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #2 
lilchiwolf

I have one of those heaters too. Says its good for a 2-10gal tank...bunch of BS. It keeps like 2gal critter keeper just warm enough for my females. :/

As for your fish, the critter keeper should be ok. My one plakat was getting the raised scales and it got worse. There was nothing I could do cause it wound up being dropsy. He was having a hard time slimming up for air, so I just kept the water love in the keeper and kept him comfortable. Sadly, there is not cure for dropsy. It got to the point where I did not want him to suffer so I put him down. :(

I wish you luck on your fish.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Thanks... I have a feeling its really nothing, and Im being paranoid :cc
Old 01-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #4 
Betta Slave

I'd QT for a week or two to how he comes along... hope he gets better.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Thanks, guys. Ive come to the descision that Maccies isnt getting the kind of life he deserves by living in my divided 5 gal, so Im giving him to my friend who lives in my dorm and will take good care of him in his own 2.5+gallon tank...
He's so stressed out living with Alle and vice versa :c
He's also sorta sickly (always has been), so I think this will be best.
Maccies, assuming this is nothing, will be healed up nice and then trasferred to her room...
Ill miss my buddy but at least he'll be with a nice friend and in good hands where I can see him whenever I want <3