Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #1 
ansalong

Split Fin

For the first few days that Fishnu was in his new home, he chewed up his poor tail fin (pic below). He stopped after a few days and I have been keeping his water very clean and using aquarium salt to help his fins grow back and prevent infection. All of his water parameters are consistently good and his temperature maintains at 82. This week I was very happy because they seem to be growing in very well.

This morning his tail fin was split completely down the middle. I couldn't get a good picture before I left, but it's just a clean split with no other discoloration or anything. I've checked his plants and decorations, they are all smooth and have not given him a problem yet. I wonder if this could be from flaring a lot?

Based on advice on the forum and my current habits for helping his chewed fins, I am keeping his water very clean and using aquarium salt. Should I just continue this for his split fin? I am also concerned that if this is from flaring or something that it will keep happening to him. Has anyone had that happen before?
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #2 
ansalong

Oops - forgot the pic of his fins. I don't know if it's helpful, as it's before the split, but here it is.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Tail biting can be frustrating and sometimes you never find the trigger and sometimes they will just stop......

Nice looking Betta by the way....and looking at the pic-he either didn't bite too much or it has already grown back nicely....

How big is the tank and do you have a filter

I would limit the salt to 10 days and often if you catch the rip fins early and you have maintained the water with regular water changes to start...often all that you need to do is frequent water changes without the salt to prevent secondary infection and stimulate healing and re-growth.....along with good nutrition....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #4 
ansalong

Thanks OFL! He is still in a one gallon while I am getting a bigger tank for him. I am not using the filter because it pushes him around and bothers him but I am changing his water every day.

I forgot to say also that the same thing happened to his anal fin - you can see in the picture it is split. It was split completely down the middle and has started to heal so hopefully I am doing the right thing. I just don't want it to keep happening to him.

I will stop the salt for now - I assume I should start again if something else happens to his fins?

Thanks for your compliment! He didn't bite too badly, thank goodness. I was afraid he would keep doing it all the time. He is very cute and social but he gets feisty and flares a lot and rips his poor fins!

Is there something else I can do for him nutritionally? He gets pellets normally with a treat of freezedried bloodworms once or twice a week.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Your 1gal is fine provided that you are making the needed water changes and good that you don't have a filter...often the filter will cause the stress and fin damage.....it could be flaring that is causing he rip fins and sometimes gravel can do this too or items in the tank that he can get his fins pinched between and even items that you think are safe...one little bur can snag the delicate fins.....fresh clean dechlorinated water is one of the best medications and treatment for fin damage in my experience....

Nutrition-if you can't get live foods like mosquito larva, frozen foods are the next best thing and if all you can get are pellets and freeze dried...fed small amounts several times a day of several different brands of foods....look for at least 45% protein and the first 2-3 ingredients-meats- like fish, seafoods and then meals
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #6 
ansalong

Thanks so much. I can probably get a better variety of foods, including frozen, so I'll work on that. I haven't done live or frozen yet because I worry about parasites, but I can get them. And I didn't think to check if his fins were getting pinched against the glass so I will make sure that doesn't happen.
Thank you again!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #7 
ansalong

Update: I took his plant out for now, on the offchance that it is the problem. In two days his fins are already healed most of the way! It seemed to happen so fast.

You can see the "seam" where the two halves of his fin came together, it's a little like someone sewed them up clumsily. Is that normal? Will it stay like that forever, or continue to heal over?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #8 
plakatfighter123

try ordering indian almond leaves......u see i use to let my fancy bettas fight but now im using almond leaves and their tail and fins grow back 3time fasteer
plakatfighter123 is offline   Reply With Quote