Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #1 
tfranc

Exclamation New fish with Fin Rot please help!

Hi about a week ago I went to petsmart to get a little friend and found a beautiful green w/ red betta that didnt look sick, and then I saw this little guy (precioso) w his fins full of holes in that tiny cup so I brought him home too.
Sadly yesterday my green betta died, I am not sure why, I didn't see anything wrong, I had him in a 10g tank with a heater and I kept his water clean.

Now my little sick friend is the survivor and I have him QT but he refuses to eat anything... I got him pellets, and freeze dried bloodworms but it has been a week and he will not eat, I also started him on antibiotic to try and get rid of his fin rot, and he actually seems lively but what has me really worried is that he wont eat!! :(

If you can please help me and let me know what I can do to make him better and save his life, I will greatly appreciate it!

Thank you
Attached Images

Last edited by tfranc; 01-31-2011 at 03:53 PM.
tfranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #2 
andama08

Keep trying to feed him and hopefully he will eat something, sometimes it takes a while for new fish to adjust, hopefully he will eat soon!
andama08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #3 
turtle10

I need a bit more info to help...

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #4 
tfranc

Hi thank you for your help

My betta was acquired last Sunday so about 9 days ago, I got him with a severe case of Fin Rot and that is why I brought him home so he could have a chance rather than die in a dirty cup.

His beautiful fins are full of large holes and the bacteria has eaten a lot of the edges of the fins.
since I bought him I have kept him in a small recipient where I can control the water conditions a lot easier, he is heated with a pad in about 3-4 cups of water and his temperature stays within the 78-80 degree range, I have him isolated and he has not been sharing a tank with anyone because of his illness, I make 100% water changes every night around the same time so he can get a little used to the routine, I add aquarium salt, water conditioner, and maracyn two every time I change his water ( except the Myacyn 2 because I just started that saturday night).
He lacks a bit of color and I am afraid he might also have ick but he does not seem to be getting worse, he seems happy, swims a lot and likes his cave, I noticed that he might have pooped today a green substance maybe its from the small piece of pea that I gave him about 2 days ago, but like I said his behaviors seems pretty active and a bit better than when I got him where he spent all the time hiding.
I have tried feeding him color enhancing betta bits by topfin, and freeze-dried bloodworms but he will not eat any of them and it has been 9 days so I am very worried. If you can please give me some advice I greatly appreciate it and my little guy too!!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #5 
turtle10

Are his scales raised at all?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #6 
tfranc

no his scales are fine, i think he is pooping green stuff, but still won't eat anything
Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #7 
turtle10

You said you think he might have ick.. why?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #8 
tfranc

He has a white spot next to his eyes, The good news is he ate half a pellet today!!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

Only If u are sure that it is ICK i treated betta about i think more then 1 year ago with Maracide by biospheres. The betta i treated was not mine. I broght him home he looked like he is dead. All his body was covered in white spots and he was lying on the top of the plant not moving. I almost throw him out i thought he is dead. I think he was sick for long time though. I used Maracide longer then bottle recommendations. I also used aquarium salt.The fish live about may be 1.2 y after I treated him.

Are u sure the white spot is new?

It proboblly way to treat ICK with aquarium salt or other natural remedies. I know OLDFISHLADY does it .

Last edited by ANHEL123; 02-03-2011 at 12:39 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #10 
tfranc

thank you, I am not 100% sure it is ick, I noticed those two white spots since I got him but i thought they might just be part of him... I use aquarium salt everyday when I change his water, and the antibiotic seemed to help a lot, now he is finally eating at least half a pellet a day, but his fins are now falling off a bit, is that a good sign? I hope its the damaged parts that are falling off.

Also, today is his last day with the antibiotic, what should I do tonight when I change his water?

also I have another sick fish can you please help me? He just developed cotton wool I think, he has it under his two lower fins next to his gills I guess, He is still eating but sleeps most of the day now... If you can give me some advice in the new post I put about Sol, I d really appreciate it!
Thanks