Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #11 
ANHEL123

Can u post pictures for both of them?
What kind of medications did u use? I don’t understand why he eating just half of the pellet. U sure he is eating and not spitting out. Sometimes they hold it and then spitting them. It happened to me before.Is he refusing to eat another time of the day?
I don’t know about falling fins. I saw picture at ur post and I didn’t see that they were damaged. May be we can see if u post another picture of him. I think they have to grow not fall. I can’t understand if his fins looked fine before and now they are falling ?
Is he active at all?

And I would change 100% and still add Aquarium salt. How much of aquarium salt are adding?
I treated my bettas with TETRACYCLINE API mixed together with FUNGUS ELIMINATOR BY JUNGLE + AQUARIUM SALT.
I would recommend those mixed it really helped me before. Tetracycline treats gram positive and gram negative bacteria. U can buy it in any pet store. A lot of the stores have FUNGUS ELIMINATOR. Try that it really helped.

May be someone else have another advise.

I wish OLDFISHLADY see ur post and give u advise.

I would change 100% for the first fish and watch him. I am not sure how much Aquar. salt u are using. If it more then 1/2 tsp /gal u can use only for 10 days. I add less than 1/2 tsp/gall for mine bettas all the time for the past 1 year.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 02-03-2011 at 05:13 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #12 
tfranc

how do you know if you need another dose of the antibiotic?
tfranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #13 
tfranc

Thanks! here are the pictures of both fish, Sol has a red outline where the cotton wool is, and Precioso is the purple red betta, and he just ate like 4 pellets today so I am really excited!! I did change his water again today and no more antibiotic since today was day 5 but as I mentioned before his fins are still falling, but he looks happy, is eating now and swims great! his tamp is between 72-75 degrees today.

Sol is also in around 72-75 degree water, does not eat anymore as he did yesterday and lays down on the bottom of his bowl, and also has random attacks where he splashes around like crazy and then lays down again. i also started Sol on the same antibiotic that Precioso was on, and aquarium salt, I add about 1/2 teaspoon to their water with every change and water conditioner.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #14 
turtle10

Can you get the water warmer?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #15 
tfranc

yes, I can try, but I thought that any higher would make it nicer for the bacteria to grow?
Old 02-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #16 
turtle10

Bacteria shouldn't grow in your tank because of all the water changes you will be doing (50% three times a week) .
I big reason your betta probably isn't eating is the temperature, it is way too cold. And your betta will get sicker if kept at that temperature. The appropriate temperature range for a betta is 78-82 degrees..
Old 02-04-2011, 02:43 AM   #17 
tfranc

so I should keep my bettas at 78 deg min even if there is some fin rot and the cotton wool? with the antibiotic Sol should get better right? and did you see the picture of my purple red betta with the fin rot? i treated him with antibiotic for 5 days and as i mentioned his fins are breaking into strands and coming off, is that normal after the treatment?

thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 02:47 AM   #18 
turtle10

I honestly don't know about the antibiotics, many people here say they do more harm than good. I also can't say for sure he has fin rot. Honestly, I can't tell anything from the pictures. If you really think he has fin rot lower the temp down to 76 MINIMUM.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #19 
tfranc

ok, thank you so much for your help!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #20 
tfranc

Thanks so much for all of your tips, Precioso is doing great, his fins are still torn but he is eating like a little pig now and flares his fins more often, seems very happy, thank you!