Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #21 
tfranc

His Gills seem to have something wrong, please help

I have a question, Precioso looks odd today, he was fine last night and today his gils are open and he is taking big breaths and stays near the bottom, do you have any idea why? I am about to do a 100% water change and where he has the side fins by his gills he also has white very small cotton like strands coming out of the sides, Yesterday I tried the tea remedy for the fin rot to see if he started healing so I did the tea mixture, (decaf green tea, conditioner, AQ salt) but like I said today he isn't looking good, I am going to just go back to the AQ salt and tap water with conditioner to see if that helps, If you have any suggestions please let me know soon, thank you!!!
The pics attached show the his gills, as well as the cotton like strand that was hanging from them and a white dot on his right side gill. thanks!
Attached Images

tfranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #22 
turtle10

It looks like parasites...
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #23 
Oldfishlady

I can't really tell much by the pics...but it is most likely due to my computer....I can't see much on this old thing...lol....anyway....

Usually things that are sticking out of a fish are-external parasites....are you sure it is not his scales....

How may days have you been doing the aquarium salt treatment and how much are you using.....is he QT'd? and you are keeping him in the aquarium salt all the time and making 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt....

About how old is he or how long have you had him.....

Sorry...I was asked to take a look and since I am coming in on it late.....I need a re-cap of sorts of what is going on and what all you have done so far....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #24 
tfranc

Thank you so much for jumping in, My little guy has been with me for about 2-3 weeks already, I got him from petsmart with a really bad case of Fin Rot thats why I brought him home.
Since then I have had him Qtd with a cave for him to hide in and AQ salt, also did the Myacine 2 for 5 days as recomended.
It took him 9 days since I brought him home before he started eating that was after the antibiotic, but his fins are still damaged but not getting worse at least.
He gets 100% water changes daily and I always add AQ salt and conditioner to his water, he eats about 8 pellets a day, 4 am/ 4 pm (doesnt leave any uneaten) I use abou 1/2 tsp of the AQ salt but I dont know how old he is, he is pretty calm most of the time likes to swim a lot, eat a lot and poops nicely, his colors got better and he seems happy, only saw him get mad once.
Since his fins dont seem to be growing back, I decided to try the tea treatment yesteday, but today he seemed really unhappy :(
his gills (or the part that extends when he gets angry is sticking out a bit and there was a white bubble and a few white cotton like threads hanging from there, its outlined in the pics, im sorry its not easy to see since his color is also dark blue/purple. Some white cotton like stuff was also floating around his water and he was having a hard time breathing and kept coming up for big gulps of air, he didnt want to eat and seemed sluggish and stuck to the bottom and his fins seemed a bit stiff.
I immediately changed him back to just tap water w/ conditioner and AQ salt and he started eating, I only gave him 3 pellets and he swims a bit more, but still doesnt look too great.
His temp is at 72-75 degrees please, thank you so much for your help!
Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #25 
Oldfishlady

Poor fella....sometimes they just need time....especially if they came from poor conditions to start.....its great that he is eating well and still somewhat active....you have to be really careful and not over treat and sometimes in our quest to get them better faster....we can make them toxic....it can take several weeks to months to get their fins back to normal and something they never return to their full glory no matter what we do........

What I would recommend you do for him at this point is provide him with clean dechlorinated water....start making 50% water only changes to start getting all the salt and medication out of the water, get his water temp up in the 76-77F range and feed small frequent meals...2-3 pellets 3-4 times a day....and stay with the 50% water changes for 4 days and then 100% water change....even move him to a 1gal unfiltered container if you have one and make 1-50% and 1-100% a week....you don't want to go too big on the tank yet...get his system cleaned out of all the salt and medication and give his system a rest for at least 7 days and then re-evaluate treatment needs at that time......or if he starts to get worse or symptoms changes...post and we can go from that point....

Good luck and keep us posted....
Old 02-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #26 
tfranc

Ok, so tomorrow I will do a 50% water change by adding just tap water (i assume with conditioner right?) do that for the next 4 days, and then just give him tap water w/out salt for him to get his system clean right?
Since he was looking better I was going to transfer both him and Simba to their 10g tank, so I guess I'll hold off for a week.

Thanks so much for your help, I also got some anti-bacteria medicated food, just in case he does have parasites, but I wont feed him that till I do this water exchange this week i guess.

Thanks for your help!! :) :) :)
Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #27 
Oldfishlady

Right, always use dechlorinator with any water added to the fish if on city water supply.....

I would hold off on any medication/treatment/salt for at least a week unless something changes to give his system a rest....clean dechlorinated water, good nutrition and often the immune response will kick in and take care of everything else.....

Also, antibacterial medication will not do much for parasites....
Old 02-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #28 
tfranc

Great! Thank you :) He is definitely a tough little guy and I'm sure he'll get better soon with your advise :)
Old 02-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #29 
tfranc

Hi I hope you can tell me what is going on, my betta is doing much better since yesterdays water change, but I looked at his water today and saw that there are large clumps of white cotton things in his water, it still has some AQ salt in it and Im going to change it again, luckily there is nothing on his body that I can see right now but Why are these thing developing in there?

thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #30 
Oldfishlady

Its hard to say what it could be...can you post a clear pic of it...it may be mineral deposits, normal flora, something from the air, fungus/moldy food...etc.....too many things it could or couldn't be....but the first thing that pops into my head when I hear clumps of white cotton things-is moldy food .....as long as the Betta is fine and it doesn't seem to be problematic.....I would just make the water changes to remove it....