Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 AM   #1 
GreenTea

Exclamation Situation is getting worse! URGENT

Brutus just had a small reddish sack-looking thing dangling from his stomach, is has come off and I plucked it from the water, it was dark red.

He seems to be swimming more but his fins are deteriorating rapidly. Is this all because of him jumping out? I have no idea what is happening and I'm so scared, I've been working to save his life and things seem to be looking worse.

When should I pull the plug? How can I put him to sleep humanely? I don't want him to suffer if he doesn't get better.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Do you have any photos of him?
Is he eating?
I would give him some time, if he has fin-rot and you have tried the aquarium salt in QT. for 10 days and he is only getting worse you might want to try some maracyn.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #3 
JessG

My fish Alvin recently survived an accidental poisoning. His fins disintegrated as a result. I wouldn't worry about the fins, just staving off the bacterial and fungal infections. If he pulls through, then you can focus on the fins. I'd keep following Old Fish Lady's advice for as long as he's willing to hang on.

Good luck.
JessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #4 
Biomess

I think you should wait a bit longer to see if he stops deteriorating and starts healing first, it may take a week so don't give up on him just yet.
Are you sure that what came off of him wasn't his poo? On my fish, it looks like a smooth, curly, redish brown...blob, so to speak. Good luck with Brutus and give him time, especially if he is swimming that is a good sign.
Biomess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #5 
reaper0325

The red thing you plucked is poo. As long as he is still eating he will survive. IME, its not advisable to euthanize fish. I have bettas that seem to be in the verge of death, but survive and still live for a long time. If the fish will die, just let it die by itself.

Try indian almond leaves. They are the only medicine i use for betta.
Use mosquito larva to stimulate appetite.
reaper0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #6 
JessG

I just wanted to add, that Alvin's fins kept falling apart for about three to four days into his recovery. Don't take that as a sign that things are getting worse. Fins grow back, his body's resources are all focused on healing his body at the moment, and letting the fins go. As long as those gills are still going, he's got a shot. Good luck with him.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #7 
reaper0325

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessG View Post
I just wanted to add, that Alvin's fins kept falling apart for about three to four days into his recovery. Don't take that as a sign that things are getting worse. Fins grow back, his body's resources are all focused on healing his body at the moment, and letting the fins go. As long as those gills are still going, he's got a shot. Good luck with him.
The plastic tub where i put my betta has traces of rat poison. Now my fish has gone very pale. He has been pale for more than 12 hours now. What did you do when yours got poisoned?
reaper0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #8 
JessG

I immediately got him into a clean plastic cup and floated him in his tank with fresh water and changed it every four-six hours, so I knew he was in pristine water. (From our well, dechlorinated. Basically, I got him out of the contaminated water ASAP, then made sure his water was clean as priority one.) I prayed really hard through the night, then in the morning, I changed him over to aquarium salt baths in his quarantine cup for about a week.

He was in bad bad bad shape for four days, then he started coming around. He's still recovering more than a week later. He's sleeping a lot, but he's looking much better.

Check the thread that is titled "Help with Alvin's recovery" it will explain what I did in more detail.

Jess