Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #1 
alidawn15

Blizzard Warning

My betta is in a .5 Gallon tank until we can get is new 10 gallon set up. I'm in southern Iowa and we could possibly get 14 inches of snow in the next two days. If the power goes out what are the chances of my betta getting too cold and is there anything i can do to help him?
alidawn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #2 
SilverCaracal

The water needs to be from 75 to 85 degrees, so if the power goes out, yes you will need to do something about it. I don't know if it's possible to heat a half gallon tank, so you'll probably want to move your betta into anything bigger until the 10 gallon comes in.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #3 
Biomess

I was just thinking the same thing, that big storm is baring down on us too in Kansas City, though you will probably get more, most northern states do.
The only reasonable thing I can think of is having a hot water bottle on standby, and if able, boil some water and use that to keep him warm. Do not place it directly against the tank, might get too hot, but set it very close and wrap the bottle and tank with a blanket or something similar to insulate them from the cold. But make sure to moniter his temperature so he is not too hot, nor too cold.
Good luck, I hope you don't lose power and I hope we don't either, I have 6 tanks to worry about if it does!
Biomess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:49 PM   #4 
alidawn15

Unfortunately the tank came in today and Dobby is currently living with my boyfriend. Erg for fishys sake i can't wait til this cold weather is over. His apartment stays super warm, almost too warm for me. My main problem with the water isn't keeping it warm but rather that it evaporates rather quickly. Your suggestion is about the best thing anyones come up with so far. I'm very glad I found this forum.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #5 
addie

I was thinking the same thing. I have a heater for my 1.5 gallon, but if the power goes out, I thought of getting those hot hands and setting them near the tank. Do you think that would be effective or just a silly thought?
addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #6 
alidawn15

Anything is better than nothing isn't it. I wish he had a gas stove instead of electric. At least we could warm water that way...
Old 02-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #7 
Biomess

I think it is a good idea, Addie. But the one I tried for transporting fish home from a fish store 10 miles away, never got above warm and it was really about tepid at best. Maybe it was old, but I would use a couple to make sure he is good and warm if you go that route.
Biomess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #8 
bamsuddenimpact

<<glad for a glass stove.
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold, power outage