Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #1 
Kevindolin2

Bubbler?

I just got a small tank and put two female bettas in it. Should I have a bubbler in it? I am getting a new tank in a day or two (10 gal) and am just looking for some suggestions. Please remember these are my first fish. Here is a video stream of them: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/betafish99
Kevindolin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #2 
ChicagoPete

Hello and welcome to the site! Id first like to point out that bettas need a heater and females need to be in groops called surroritys with no less then 5 females. Two females cannot and will not get along with each other and will begin to fight each other to their death. Please seporate them imedately! Once you get your 10 gallon setup create lots of hiding places and get alot of plants so that once a pecking order is established the others can get away from the alpha female. You can find lots of more information on this site once you start looking into it more. ^.^
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #3 
Kevindolin2

Thank you :) What about the bubbler? What does that do for the fish?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #4 
ChicagoPete

Bubblers are often used as a undergravel filteraton but really have no use for Betta. They breathe from the surface of the water with there labrenthe organ witch acts like lungs on a human as a posed to gills on eny other fish who whould need the oxygen in the water made by bubblers. Just remember to leave about an inch of space from the top of the tank durring water changes so they can breathe.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #5 
ds2009

Hello, welcome to the site!
I recently got a 10 gal and its really nice having the space, i think 5 gals in that would be perfect for your new tank :) Just like pete said, the bubbler isnt really helpful for bettas but they can look really nice and your bettas might actually enjoy the bubbler. If you have it, give it a try and see how the bettas like it ^^
ds2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #6 
Kevindolin2

I think i'm going to get 3 more females in the morning so they don't fight. Would a 10 gal tank be big enough for that?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #7 
ChicagoPete

10 gallon tanks just like I mentioned earlier are what surroritys need. Just remember the basics in it. Heater, lots of plants, and hiding places. ^.^
Old 01-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #8 
Kevindolin2

One last thing. Should i be able to keep one of the bettas in this container just till morning so i can get them all in a bigger tank? It is the container they came in from Petsmart

Old 01-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #9 
ChicagoPete

yep just attach it to the inside of the tank with some tape so it doesnt sink or float around. ^.^
Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #10 
Kevindolin2

Done!