Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #1 
The Bear

Potential Power Outage: What to Do?

Hey all, We're supposed to be getting some inclement weather over the next 2 days... and knowing my house/street, our power has a tendency to go out quite frequently. I'm a bit worried about my fish if this will come about. I'm going to change some of his water tomorrow in preparation that this might happen.

Anyways, my question is what's the best course of action of keeping his tank heated during a power outage? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

His tank is a 10 gallon tank that is heated & filtered.

HOPEFULLY this doesn't happen though
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:41 AM   #2 
addie

I made a post on another thread similar to this. My thought is I was thinking of getting some of those hot hands and maybe putting them under a towel and setting my tank on top. Not sure how well that would work, but we'll see..
addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #3 
Biomess

Well, as I mentioned in the Blizzard Warning post earlier, this is my suggestion and it is the only one I can think of right now. So, here we go:
I was just thinking the same thing, that big storm is baring down on us too in Kansas City. The only reasonable thing I can think of is having a hot water bottle on standby, and if able, boil some water and use that to keep him warm. Do not place it directly against the tank, might get too hot, but set it very close and wrap the bottle and tank with a blanket or something similar to insulate them from the cold. But make sure to moniter his temperature so he is not too hot, nor too cold.
Good luck, I hope you don't lose power and I hope we don't either, I have 6 tanks to worry about if it does!

P.S. maybe covering the top with plastic wrap will also keep in some warmth/humidity, just make sure there is plenty of air for a betta to breath.
Biomess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #4 
The Bear

My gosh, I totally missed that blizzard warning thread. Sorry to the forum mods!

But thanks for the responses!
Old 02-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #5 
Biomess

A handfull of HotHands would be good, if you have small tanks, but The Bear has a 10 gallon, that is pretty heavy lifting. If the only thing in there is a betta, you could move him to a temporary home, something small enough to keep warm with the hothands.
Good idea Addie
Biomess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #6 
The Bear

I think I will try that... I'll see if I can get some of those tomorrow if the weather isn't too bad during the day. If worst comes to worst we can just house him in the container we got him in originally and heat it with the hot hands.

Thanks!