Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #1 
Kasida

Female/Male Together

I have a 10 gallon tank, with a male "king" betta, and recently went to the store to get a few tetras. In the tank with the tetras was this fish that's barely an inch long and it seemed pretty but not too pretty where my betta would feel threatened so I got it with the tetras...anywho, got home, floated the fish and the longer I look at that fish, the more I realize..that is no tetra. FEMALE BETTA, HELLO!

Well, my male didn't seem too interested in the new fish so I went ahead and let them loose; I had one of my old fish bowls set up just in case and net ready. He swam over and investigated, chased everyone away from his log over in the corner, but beyond that didn't show any interest in the female. The female established her place next to a cluster of plants on the other side of the tank and there has been no fin nipping, just the occasional chase away from eachothers "house". It's been like this for about a week, but I'm wondering if I should go ahead and take her out just to be safe.
Kasida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

Yes, do take her out immediately! It is not safe to put a male and a female in the same tank with one another unless you are breeding and really know what you are doing. Male and female bettas will fight/be aggressive with one another, and with him being so much bigger than makes it even more dangerous for her.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #3 
Alex09

Yes please do.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Taking her out would be best :) If you dont take her back, remember to get a heater for her bowl! ;D The male and female could fight overnight, so even if it seems they are getting along, they will eventually ruin each others fins.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #5 
ChicagoPete

Heel kill her please fix up that bowl quickly and put her in it till you can get her a bigger home or devide your tank.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #6 
Kasida

I've moved the female (now dubbed Lola) into the bowl, the weather is getting bad here overnight and we may be snowed in tomorrow so her heater will have to wait until later this week. Good thing our apartment is at 80!
Kasida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #7 
JKfish

it's good to know you took her out. :) If need be, you should float/ stick her bowl in the tank to keep her warm. If the bowl isn't tall enough to do that, you can use a vase, just be sure to keep up with water changes and give her something to hide in if need be.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

I've seen some nasty things in my years of betta breeding....they WILL fight, they WILL get injured and they WILL suffer. One or the other may DIE. PLEASE REMOVE HER!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote