Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #1 
MonochromeTyde

Water softener?

Ok, so two years ago, I think, I got my first betta. I kept him in a little gallon bowl and I took care of him religiously. I fed him everyday after school and cleaned out his bowl every three days. But after a month or so I came home to find him dead. This really bothered me because I'd taken such good care of this fish. But after discussing it with my dad, we figured it must've been the salt from our water softener. So almost a year ago I got two more bettas, which I keep in five gal. tanks, and I've been using well water cuz I'm really paranoid about using water from the sink now. But sinse winter started, I've been having to run out to the barn to get the water cuz the hose in the backyard froze, which is frustrating. Sooooo after all that, my question is did my last fish die from the sink water, or was it something completely unrelated? It would be nice not having to walk all the way to the barn and back in the snow carrying a five gallon bucket.
MonochromeTyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #2 
ChelseaK

Did you use any water conditioners or anything or just straight tap water?
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 PM   #3 
MonochromeTyde

Well, no, I didn't use any conditioner. At the time I had no idea I needed any or what it even was, haha.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #4 
bettafish15

That could have been why he died, most likely. I'd try using the tap water with conditioner for them, and have a bucket of your well water ready to put him in just in case. ;)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #5 
MonochromeTyde

Alrighty, I'll try that tomorrow when I clean Keahi's tank. Thank you both for your help. :)
Old 01-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #6 
kfish

We have a water softener and we've never had any problem with our fish. In fact, they seem to outlive their expectancies by years. We've had a clown fish for 7 years. He wasn't a baby when we got him, either; he's actually an ocean catch (it's Nemo!). And one of our tetras has been around for 8 years, another for 6.

I don't think it was your water softener!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

The home water softeners usually just change one Ion for another that is worse for fish long term health....I would continue to use your well water...it has all the wonderful minerals that the fish need for good health and usually you don't even need a dechlorinater with well water unless you have high levels of heavy metal and even then they may not be problematic to the fish....they will tell you if they are by their erratic behavior...I have well water and have never had any problems...with that said...every ones well water is different.....but if your fish are thriving in your well water...why change and risk it......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #8 
MonochromeTyde

Well dang...this is problematic...but I think I will go ahead and try the sink water. If he starts acting strange in any way, I'll change it back.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #9 
luvem

I have well-water with salt conditioner for hard water only. All the things they check for were fine except for hard water. My fish are doing fine; except for the snails. I finally decided it was the salt that was killing them. I have a 5 gal. and now a 10 gal. and plan to use spring water from Walmart in the smaller one and keep a snail in it. I bought an API test kit that a lot of people were recommending and test the water every 2-3 days. If ammonia or nitrates show up, I do a 25-50% water change; adding a half tsp. of stress coat to the water. Good luck with your reg. water.....too cold to go so far. (If you can, the Spring water at Walmart is only 78 cents a gal.)
luvem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

To be a good keeper of fish you must first be a good keeper of water, to understand water, how it affect the fish and fish health...long term......

More to water than meets the eye....you also have minerals that freshwater fish need that can be missing from filtered water due to the filtration process and unless it is replaced it can affect the fish long term health.....70 cents is not much unless you look at it that you may be spending 2-3 dollars a week along with 50 cents to 1 dollar for the added minerals to the filtered water you just bought that took them out...this will add up in time.......why spend 20 dollars a month when it could cost you only pennies a month by using your well water or city water along with a dechlorinator that overall is better for the fish...not to mention the shock issues you can have with sudden pH changes.....just sayin......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 02-01-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
softener, water