Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #1 
Kiku

Filter at night

I have my happy betta in his 2.5 gallon tank, and he actually has nothing to do with my problems this time *laughs*
I have a ten gallon tank that is currently cycling in preparation for some balloon bellied mollies and guppies...my issue is the filter drives me INSANE at night, so I usually end up turning it off as I sleep and back on in the morning. Will this kill the cycling process? And how about when I get my new fishies? Will they manage alright at night? Getting a new, quieter filter isn't an option right now (I really don't have enough money for one) and I can't move the tank to another location (my parents say my fish, my room XD fair enough...)
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #2 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiku View Post
I have my happy betta in his 2.5 gallon tank, and he actually has nothing to do with my problems this time *laughs*
I have a ten gallon tank that is currently cycling in preparation for some balloon bellied mollies and guppies...my issue is the filter drives me INSANE at night, so I usually end up turning it off as I sleep and back on in the morning. Will this kill the cycling process? And how about when I get my new fishies? Will they manage alright at night? Getting a new, quieter filter isn't an option right now (I really don't have enough money for one) and I can't move the tank to another location (my parents say my fish, my room XD fair enough...)
yup.
almost all, if not all, your beneficial bacteria will die during the time your sleeping with it off. i don't know too much about cycling, but they are definatly dead from that 7-8 hour + time period since most of them live inside your filter.

your cycle will be on day 1 the first night you sleep with it on after having it on all day, lol. i like the sound of my filter at night my aquarium is right next to my bed on my dresser and it's a 10 gallon.it actually helps me sleep.
good luck.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #3 
JKfish

yes, that does considerably slow down/partially kill your cycle. with cycled tanks, you really should keep it on all the time to keep the cycle. If it's a splashing noise that is bothering you, bring up the water level so there isn't any water noise. If there's a noise coming from a motor, you might want to check for something stuck in there.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #4 
Kiku

The motor's really not that loud, but I am NOTORIOUS for needing absolute silence when I sleep. I mean, it has to be DEAD silent or I can't sleep a wink. This could be troublesome...I'm more concerned about the fish than the bacteria...while I'm aware a cycled tank is a (much) healthier tank, could I get away with turning the filter off at night with the fish in the tank (uncycled?) As much as I hate that, I really DO need to sleep...
Old 01-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #5 
peachesxo

maybe you should put your aquarium in another room? i dont think a bunch of dead bacteria is healthy >_<
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #6 
Kiku

Like I said, I can't move them =(
This is pretty bad...I really can't sleep with it on, not at all. Even the quietest filter would keep me up at night. It's really that bad, huh?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #7 
bettamaniac

use earplugs thats what I do
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #8 
Kiku

I considered that but then how would I hear my alarm in the morning? Agh this is awful XD I wish I wasn't such a light sleeper
Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #9 
Kiku

Well, I tried my hardest last night, I really did. I kept the filter on, put a pillow over my head, tried earplugs, and at some point during the night I vaguely remember attempting to crawl into my closet *laughs* after about three hours of sleepless torture (I purposefully went to bed early to give myself time to "get used" to the noise of the filter) I had to turn it off. Though three hours doesn't sound so long, I have to wake up at 5:30 am every morning so I need my sleep. I guess now I'll just have to beg my parents to let me put the tank in the living room...

By the way, the filter was off for about 6 hours or so...This was my "pre-cycle" (meaning I haven't added an ammonia source yet, I was going to do that today) so all that was in there was the water, water conditioner, and stress zyme...did I mess anything up at this point? Is my filter now full of nasty dead bacteria?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #10 
Alex09

Well, you cant keep a bunch of fish in an uncycled tank. Not even a 10 gallon one. So:
A: Take tank to another room
B: Decide on some other fish for an unfiltered 10 gal. One betta would do fine in there. Maybe even 2 (if you divide it of course)

One thing that has cosifderably helped my filter be quiet (dead quiet unless you are standing right next to it in which case you can hear a very slight humming from the motor) is to attach an aquarium sponge to the outake like this and bring up the water level as high as possible.

Last edited by Alex09; 02-01-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote