Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #11 
Sweeda88

Earplugs don't block so much noise that you couldn't hear your alarm if it's right next to your bed.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #12 
CjRager89

what type of filter do you have??? I have whispers on both my 10 and 20 gallons, and with the tank filled with water, the only noise i can hear at all is the light (only on my 20) which obviously is not a problem at night.

I had a different filter before, some blah brand that came with my 10 gal, and it was rather noisy, so I had to change it out.
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #13 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Well, you cant keep a bunch of fish in an uncycled tank. Not even a 10 gallon one. So:
A: Take tank to another room
B: Decide on some other fish for an unfiltered 10 gal. One betta would do fine in there. Maybe even 2 (if you divide it of course)

One thing that has cosifderably helped my filter be quiet (dead quiet unless you are standing right next to it in which case you can hear a very slight humming from the motor) is to attach an aquarium sponge to the outake like this and bring up the water level as high as possible.

Did you have to do anything with your filters intake? Mine seems to "suck" my fish in that direction every time he gets close to it. Your tank looks really pretty btw.

I think your best option might be to baffle, or get a new filter if it is the filter itself making the noise, mine makes a noise, but unless I have my head real close to the tank I cannot hear it.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #14 
Kiku

I want to get a new filter but I can't spend any more money =( I'm stuck with this one. The last time I tried to cycle, it was a total disaster because I couldn't keep the filter on all night. I'm about to give up on this...
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #15 
coolcucumber

I would suggest the sponge aswell. im going to get it.

i have 4 tanks in my room, 4x te filter noise. i got used to it, though :)
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #16 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiku View Post
I want to get a new filter but I can't spend any more money =( I'm stuck with this one. The last time I tried to cycle, it was a total disaster because I couldn't keep the filter on all night. I'm about to give up on this...
OR - if you are willing to do the needed water changes you can go without a filter.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #17 
Kiku

Okay, so I moved the tank out into the living room and bought 3 mini neon tetras for a fish-in cycle (I was skeptical at first since they are schooling fish but the owner of this fish store is very reliable, so I trusted her word) and hopefully that will be a good kick start...still nervous!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #18 
Kiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
OR - if you are willing to do the needed water changes you can go without a filter.
*laughs* I would be more than willing to do a water change every DAY if I had to
Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #19 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiku View Post
*laughs* I would be more than willing to do a water change every DAY if I had to
Well, there ya go then!

Just ask about how often you need to change the water and how many/how often 100% should be changed.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #20 
shinybetta

Or you could just use the walstad method.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote