Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #1 
animallover4lyfe

Exclamation help, fish might be sick?

Okay, so one of my halfmoons is acting a little weird. Hes in a 10 gallon tank divided into two, temp 80 degrees all the time, filtered. He had another halfmoon in there with him, he was acting weird, so i took him out and he later died the next day, but i think it was from old age because he was 2.5 yrs. After that I put aniother halfmoon in the empty side of the tank, a week or so later, i noticed that halfmoon was breathing really hard, stayin in one spot, so i removed him. Ended up having HORRIBLE fin rott, i treated him but he ended up dying. So i cleaned the 10 gallon, took 80% of the water out, left it with just the one betta in there for about 2 days and now I ahve added yet another betta in the other side. Now the betta that was in there from teh very start is acting different, he is still eating really well and is actually blowing a bubble nest. the problem is hes not as active as he was before, spends ALOT of time under the filter where his bubble nest is, just resting on his leaf. I am scared hes the next to go, even though hes showing no signs of sickness, so i added aquarium salt to his side. Any suggestions on what to do?????
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Have a few questions.....

This is a 10g divided filtered tank...
How much and how often are the regular water changes, water temp, additives used, live plants, any other livestock besides Bettas, how long has the tank been setup, any medications or other chemicals add to the tank, any of the fish from overseas a.......-the current sick fish how long have you had him and detailed info on symptoms and about how old is he....

How much aquarium salt did you add? are these solid dividers?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #3 
animallover4lyfe

Ok, the water changes are once a week. i usuallyy take out anywhere from 50-75% out. The water temp is ALWAYS at a consistent 80 degrees. The only thing I use when I do water changes, is obviously water conditioner but also a liquid fertilizer for my live plants, so yes I do have two live plants in there. No livestock in the tank other than bettas, although I have noticed Im overcrowded with little etty bitty snails that I am trying to get rid of! The tank has been set up for several months now, probably around at least 3 months. Both the fish are from aquabid (thailand) the one thats been in there longer (the possibly sick one) I have had for at least 3 months or so. Hes been in other tanks, but I moved him into this one to give him heated water. Hes been in THIS tank for a couple weeks. How old he is, Id say close to 6 months.

His symptoms , like i said he eats really well, i checked him out, no ripped fins, no sign of fin rot. physically looks good. He used to spend alot of time swimming around the tank, now he spends 90% of his time under the filter (where he has built a bubble nest) sitting on his leaf. Very little do I see him swim around and flare at the other fish beside him (which he used to do alot of before with hte previous fish).

The aquarium salt, I just put about two pinches, I have had great success with aquarium salt before. It works great. The dividers are the brand penn plax, they are solid with tiny holes.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like he is broody and not sick and good that he is eating fine....he is in a new place- that may have stimulated his instinct to spawn-he built a nest and now waiting by the nest for the female to show up.....broody.......or water quality issue...

Salt is a great product for treatments when used for the right reason, dosage and duration...otherwise you can create resistant pathogen/parasites and long term can cause kidney damage...also-most plants can be sensitive to sodium chloride and it can effect the growth and overall health

Since you have been having so many problems in the tank in regards to health-I would make some 50% water only changes for several days and 1 50% with a good deep vacuum in all places you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots- to make sure nothing is wrong with the environment....and if you haven't lately-give the filter media a good swish/rinse in old tank water to make sure you have good water flow...divided tanks can sometimes get a dead spot(anaerobic) from lack of oxygenated water flow
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #5 
animallover4lyfe

Thanks so much for your help and advice, I think maybe I over reacted, he seems fine, eats like a pig, is swimming around. I think hes fine, :) Well I hope so!