Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #1 
BettaLover101

Talking Bucket Breeding

Hi all! Its been a while XP
So, just to get straight to the point, I am back into betta breeding and trying to get a pair to breed. I wanted to try a different way of breeding for this pair so I have a bucket (not see through) and there is water, an indian almond leaf, java moss, a terra cotta pot, a heater, half a plastic cup, and a lid from a container, all in it. I'm conditioning the pair right now even though the female already looks like she is going to burst and I am planning to breed them on February 5th.

Now does all of this sound ok for breeding? Oh! and the bucket is only about half way filled so that the eggs don't falls far. I can post pictures if needed.
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The principle of breeding in buckets is basically the same as in glass tanks. The main difference is you can't see through the plastic wall, making it more difficult to control your spawn.

I breed in plastic tubs. To make control easier, I don't use any floating plants like water lettuces nor cups as nesting areas. I could see the whole tub from above. I also don't use pumps/filters during spawning.

Your setup sounds good. How big is the bucket - you need to consider the frequency of WC, specially during the first few weeks when the fry are too small to avoid suction.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #3 
BettaLover101

i've got just above 2 gallons in the bucket because i didnt want the water level to be any higher and there is still plenty of room and multiple hiding places. I will be doing 20% water changes every day for the first week. I've also got a lot of brine shrimp eggs that I can hatch once I know that the spawn was successful and can get the necessary live food and dried food as the fry age.
I really hope this spawn works, my first white pair XD
Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I'm guessing it's a normal tall type of bucket. 2g is not much. Just be extra careful that your female can avoid the male when needed.

I prefer a shallow but wide tub. Though in terms of water volume it may be small, but the fish have a wide area to cover.

Good luck. keep us posted.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #5 
BettaLover101

Ya this bucket is a bit wider than usual ones so they have more room to spread away from eachother plus this male is extremely gentle so I could probably keep him in a tank with another female and have them breed just like guppies(I wouldn't do this though).
Its my first time trying this method so I hope all goes well, normally I do spawning the Thai Way and have had much success.

I'll try to get the camera from my parents tonight and take some pictures. :)
Old 02-02-2011, 04:05 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If you've successfully bred the Thai way, you should have no problem with this method.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #7 
BettaLover101

Ok, well hopefully they breed because I haven't had much luck lately, all the conditions are right the females just refuse to have anything to do with the males.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #8 
BettaLover101

I think this breeding method is cancelled for now since my bucket ended up leaking. I'll see if I can get another one soon, if the parents will drive me, and start all over again. Ugh, I hate when this kind of stuff happens.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #9 
effy

oh no :( I was looking forward to stalking this thread! hehe. hopefully you can try again soon with a better bucket :)
effy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #10 
BettaLover101

Ya, I'll try getting another tomorrow since we are snowed in today. I will definitely take pictures next time too.

Tags
breeding, bucket, different method, not see through, pair