Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #21 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I'd place the cup opposite to the plants - to avoid scattered eggs falling into them.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #22 
BettaLover101

thanks indjo. I normally do that, i don't know why i didn't notice this time. XP silly me
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #23 
BettaLover101

I have been conditioning the pair for a few weeks now since they were ready before but that last bucket broke so I think tomorrow I will put the female in a plastic cylinder in the bucket and put the male into the bucket so that he can start building his bubble nest.
I also fixed the java moss so that it isn't under the cup anymore.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #24 
BettaLover101

Talking Bucket Breeding Journal 2

I fed my pair as soon as I got home which was almost 2 hours ago and now I have put them together in the bucket.

The female is in a plastic cylinder inside the bucket and the male is placed directly into the bucket.
So far all I have seen is the female flaring but not raming herself against the sides or anything, just flaring. The male has been flaring back at her a little bit but seems more intent with exploring his new space.

So without further a do. Here are some pictures of the two together.
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1296854105
Old 02-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #25 
Fawnleaf

Nice!! The female looks adorable!!
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #26 
BettaLover101

Thanks! :D I'm so excited for this spawn so I really hope that it works out. I'm not sure if I should just leave them alone or let myself be a worry wort and check on them every hour. XP
Old 02-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #27 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover101 View Post
Thanks! :D I'm so excited for this spawn so I really hope that it works out. I'm not sure if I should just leave them alone or let myself be a worry wort and check on them every hour. XP
I am such a worrier, it would be SO hard for me to leave them alone. Anyways good luck and have fun! You should post some pics if you can get any :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:48 PM   #28 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
So far all I have seen is the female flaring but not raming herself against the sides or anything, just flaring. The male has been flaring back at her a little bit but seems more intent with exploring his new space.
I don't think they're ready/want to spawn just yet. They should be flirting so don't release the female until they do. And you don't need to hawk eye them before you release.

If the male doesn't flirt after a day or two, try placing an aggressive male (in a jar) and let them flare it out for a while. On the following day, reintroduce the female. She will usually flirt if she sees a flirting male.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #29 
BettaLover101

Alright indjo I'll try that tomorrow if there is no action today. I checked on them last night before going to bed and the male seems kind of lethargic, he was just laying at the bottom of the bucket and would occasionally come up either to breath or swim around a bit. The female seems interested though and she is quite active in the cylinger, always looking around.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:04 AM   #30 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Alright indjo I'll try that tomorrow if there is no action today. I checked on them last night before going to bed and the male seems kind of lethargic, he was just laying at the bottom of the bucket and would occasionally come up either to breath or swim around a bit. The female seems interested though and she is quite active in the cylinger, always looking around.
Bad sign, take out the female. Give him some time alone. If he isn't lethargic in a day or two, show him another betta - preferably a female but not the one you want to breed. See if he flares actively. If not change the male/ don't breed him just yet.

Make sure the water is not contaminated by anything or the bucket is safe for the fish. I hope it's only due to "shock" and not poisoning.

Tags
breeding, bucket, different method, not see through, pair